• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac Bar Quick Help...yes searched

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
So i just got my RE 3.5" lift, with full packs and long travel OME shocks in, and in the process of getting everything ready for the lift i noticed my trac bar was a little bit sloppy! I was actually checking for my steering box or tie rod ends, but noticed the only thing moving was my trac-bar. Granted its not a whole lot...maybe 1/8th of an inch, but from searching this is a lot. So i know this is a problem, but how do i fix it??? It was moving both at the axle end, and at the heim joint...its a black diamond trac bar which i understand is a pretty decent brand. I'd really like to not have to get another one if there is something i can do, everything i searched for said it was a problem, but no one really offered any advice on how to fix it other than replace the bolt, which could be it, but i need some other advice here, thanks

Can you replace the heim joint? Somewhere I read about Black Diamonds loosening up, but you're right, I never read a solution. Is the hole on the axle end ovalized, or is it still round. If it's oval from things moving around, maybe drill it out to a bigger size bolt? Just suggestions.

I'm not familiar with the black diamond, but if it's anything like the standard RE1600, you need to get the bolt through the heim REALLY tight. I cranked the hell out of mine, used locktite and double nutted it. It finally stopped loosening up after that.

I used to have a TeraFlex trackbar that at one time had a rubber bushing on the axle end that wore out. After a bit of research it turned out it was a factory rubber bushing. So instead of buying it through a TeraFlex vendor and paying more and waiting for it to arrive, I bought a replacement from NAPA for under $10. It was a press fit. I believed I successfully used a ball joint press to push the old one out and the new one in. I have my own ball joint press, but AutoZone may rent one that may do the trick.

I would check that end in addition to the heim joint seen as it is likely it would use the factory piece and is cheap to replace.

Back