• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise with OEM + AftM. Rack

CommandoXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a cheapie Ebay Zacatal rack (fair quality - strong enuf to get my spare outa the trunk without ratcheting it down to the roof) and its mounted on top of the OEM Crossbars. I hear some squeaking from the OEM rack now and some rattleing from somewhere on the roof! Everythings tight (the 8 screws on each side holding the OEM rack down look fine and are tight as well) and i cant figure it out... Anybody had this problem before/know whats up?

I have the same rack and have had no problems with it. The only noise I had from mine were the brackets for the shovel mount, I took them off and that fixed the problem. I have the cross bars and the guter mounts from them instead of mounting it to the factory cross bars so that might be the difference.

yeah, ive had the same problem with the same roof rack. do you have the spare tire or hi-jack up there, because i've noticed the extra weight tends to make things rattle around. ALso i noticed whenever i hit a bump a few of the bolts come down and hit the cross support bars. So i flipped the bolt around so the head is on top and it had better clearence.

i've got the tire on the rack. i noticed the "clearance issue" with the rack becuase of the stock bars 'flex' - allowing contact over speed bumps and stuff. i have the nuts on the bottom, but I only noticed the side bars on the rack contacting the plastic mounts on either side of the crossbars. I stuffed some rubber between the crossbar and the rack on the farest outboard sides and it got rid of the rattleing for the most part. I also sprayed down the mounts with wd40 and powerwashed it and the squeaking went away.

I think the best solution would be to get the stock crossbars out of the mounting system. Gutter mounts or at least custom crossbars (thicker metal/no plastic holding it the mount rails) would probably fix it.

Back