• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Not working

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
My A/C was recently recharged and tested for leaks at the dealer about 9 months ago. Now it does not work. I do not have a owners manual with a table for fuses and relays. The condensor does not kick on when the A/C is on. Does anyone know if there are relays or fuses that I could check?

The relay is in the PDC row B. 1st on left.

I wouldn't rule out you're low on refrigerant.

If you are low on refrigerant again, a cracked evaporator is the most common issue for the XJ. Its a bitch to change though. You have to remove the entire dash. I was told 1400 bucks to do the evap and heater core at same time. 1200 buck in labor.

With no refridgerant pressure, the compressor won't kick on. You can test that by jumping the plug on the switch on the AC reservoir can (receiver/drier). If jumping that kicks the compressor on, you know the electrical is good.

Likely you have a small leak. If you want to start messing with it yourself, like I did, you can buy a gage set and a vacuum pump from Harbor Freight for less than $50. I think mine is leaking in the evaporator. It won't hold vacuum after the pump is turned off. First I tried recharging it myself with Walmart cans, but it only worked for a day.

We think it is the evaporator in the dash. The dealer put die in the system and know leaks are visible. After recharging the system it worked and still works for now. If it is the evaporator than I think I will not fix it and recharge the system every year. Any thoughts of wisdom?

You're polluting by doing that, but it's about the only cost effective method there is. If you can get the evaporator yourself you can probably do the job over a weekend but it's going to be a lot of work.

We think it is the evaporator in the dash. The dealer put die in the system and know leaks are visible. After recharging the system it worked and still works for now. If it is the evaporator than I think I will not fix it and recharge the system every year. Any thoughts of wisdom?

Well, that's the worst place for it to leak. Replacing the evap is well documented and write-ups can be found by searching.

I'm no tree hugger (despite living in Cali too) but it depends on how quickly it leaks out. If you can last an entire summer season on a single charge, then replenishment may be OK. If not, you really should consider changing the evap (and doing your heater core while it's all apart).

Back