• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spark plugs, you decision?

87-98 Champion, 99-01 NGK V-Power.

That said, I'm running Bosch 4 Platinums--zero problems.

I swear by AC Delco Rapidfire, but haven't replaced plugs in my XJ yet so I haven't tried them in it.

Any champions made in the USA (I've seen their standard plugs imported from overseas working behind the parts counter, truck plugs and the other 'high end' ones are here in the USA). These are the OEM plugs by the way.

NGK makes good plugs. Sure they're Japanese, but they have some pretty bright engineers over there.

I'd personally avoid the Bosch +4s since all of that electrode would tend to cover up the flame propagation that a fine wire (AC Delco RF) plug tends to encourage.

Ought-to-lights are ok... I wouldn't run them, but it's a preference thing with those.

NGKs here. I can't say, "the best luck with", 'cause that's all I ever put in it('00 with the coil rail)

Well, spark plugs with "multi-ground eletrodes" are complete crap. Anyone who knows about electricity, is that it travels the shortest "path" So it really only travels thru 1 electrode.

I've had the Bosch +4s give me driveability headaches on a 5.9 Dodge, 2.0 Alfa Romeo, 1.6 Honda CRX, and Datsun 280Z. I will never use them again. On each one of these vehicles I swapped in NGKs and drove away happy and relieved.

Well, spark plugs with "multi-ground eletrodes" are complete crap. Anyone who knows about electricity, is that it travels the shortest "path" So it really only travels thru 1 electrode.

agreed, those multifires are a joke, just a way to get uneducated customers to spend more money imho.

I stick with good ol champion coppers cuz thats what chrysler built that engine to run with. Although i have put the truck plugs in a couple of times, but i didn't notice any difference, i just liked the fact that they are black and gold, too bad i cant find them anymore.

X2. The only way to get multiple sparks is to put the gaps in series, which is why many potato cannon builders use 3-4 gaps in series, spaced evenly down the combustion chamber. Tough to do this with any valve based engine getting a decent compression ratio though.

I've heard it said that champion coppers are for two things... lawn mowers and Jeep engines. It's pretty much true.

Never had to change them on my Jeep yet, but on 2 stroke oil burners (and 4 stroke oil burners too), I never had much luck with Champions. That includes an old Winnebago with a Mopar 413 that was designed with Champions. NGK's seem to resist fouling longer.

I stick with good ol champion coppers cuz thats what chrysler built that engine to run with.
Champions work really well.

but AMC designed the 4.0, and it's a derivative of the old 258, which itself was an AMC designed motor introduced in the mid 60s, and a relative of a Nash designed i-6 from the 30s. So don't give Chrysler the credit;)

sorry, just don't like Chrysler getting the credit for the motor, all they did was buy the tooling and keep on making it. You know us Renix/AMC guys are touchy.

X2, though they do get credit for the High Output and 99 intake... oh, and for killing it.

Champions work really well.

but AMC designed the 4.0, and it's a derivative of the old 258, which itself was an AMC designed motor introduced in the mid 60s, and a relative of a Nash designed i-6 from the 30s. So don't give Chrysler the credit;)

sorry, just don't like Chrysler getting the credit for the motor, all they did was buy the tooling and keep on making it. You know us Renix/AMC guys are touchy.

sorry bout that, didn't meant to step on any toes. lol but i think the point got across in the end.

sorry bout that, didn't meant to step on any toes. lol but i think the point got across in the end.
I'm just salty that they killed the MJ in favor of a worse truck.

I see that you're in arlington. I'm about an hour north.

I used to run the Champion Truck plugs, with the black insulator but I can't find them anymore.

Just last weekend, I just put in some copper Champion's and I actually think that they work better than the Truck plugs. It runs smoother, plus better throttle response too.

Best thing is they were inexpensive.....

Back