• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help removing an aftermarket alarm

snail

NAXJA Forum User
okay: 1997, 2 door, 4.0, AW4
it has an aftermarket anti-theft in it that i want to completely tear out for a number of reasons (stop right here if you are going to try to tell me to keep it 'because its there for a good reason' blah blah blah).
what it does:
1. does not allow the engine to CRANK unless a little button is pressed (only works half the time, just have to keep pressing it until it works). all electric is allowed to come on, just does not allow cranking
2. causes all the blinkers to flash in hazard mode whenever door is opened and for several seconds after engine shutoff/doors closed
3. automatically locks and unlocks the doors when engine is shutoff or when doors are closed

my concerns are i may fudge up the wiring when removing the system. here are some pics of the system, anyone have some helpful insight towards how to go about this?, or a wiring diagram ? thanks in advance, ive never dealt with these harnesses before

red circle: alarm box, blue circle: hackjob fuses, green: alarm relay?
GOPR0071.jpg

red arrows: incorporated relay, wires running to passenger door locks?
GOPR0072-1.jpg

Very carefully unwrap the tape off anything that looks non factory - gooey, nasty electrical tape and zipties are probably non factory, while dry vinyl harness tape is probably OEM. Then follow wires from the alarm till they meet the harness. Take copious pics in case you need to put it back, you're doing good on that so far. At some point you will find that most of the wires (the door sensor ones and the light flashing trigger lines) are simply spliced in, you can safely clip those back and reinsulate the OEM wiring. You should find a few going to the light wiring and a few going to the lock/unlock wiring.

That big auto relay there PROBABLY is spliced into a yellow wire - you'll see a yellow wire come out of the harness, get ghetto spliced into the wiring to the relay, then another will be ghetto spliced on the other side and go back into the harness. If you disconnect all that mess and splice the yellow wire back together, you should be able to start it again.

That's how most aftermarkets I've seen are wired - I pulled one halfway out of a junkyard XJ before realizing it was a total piece of crap, AND broken, and then pulled what looked like a semi decent one out of another junkyard XJ and they were both wired this way.

The good thing about most aftermarkets is that they are usually installed by some ghetto shop, and you can figure out exactly what needs to be removed by looking at it and thinking "was this done right?" - if it wasn't, it needs to go. Aside from those light/lock splices you most likely will end up with only two wires coming out of the harness, the yellow ones.

EDIT from looking at the first picture, it looks like you should unwrap the e-tape on about a foot of the harness you're holding.

Google search the alarm brand and model number that might turn up a install manual with wiring diagram.

-Good time to put in a fuel cutoff switch/starter cutoff etc. if you want them, while you are in there. Search naxja for some threads for basics.

Make notes of wiring, for later, of any nonstock added on and SAVE!

Good Luck,
Orange

Kastein covered most of it. Make sure you take all the shiny tape off so that you can trace out where the wires go. Also, unplug the alarm before you start cutting into everything. That relay is your starter kill. If you look on the relay it will have numbers on it. The wires labeled 87a and 30 go in line with starter wire, they will be the big, thick wires and will go to a thick wire that is cut in half. The thin wires are just "switch" wires from the alarm. You will also have a thick wire that is hooked up to the ignition; it will just be tapped into the wire. The wire should not be cut; the shielding will just be striped back. The rest of the wire you can just follow and clip them off and tape it up. If you have a multimeter you can test each wire to see what it goes to. The white wire with the fuse looks like it goes to the parking lights but check to be sure. That’s the norm. The red wire with the fuse is probably the door lock input.

thanks so much guys, that was the type of advice and tips i was looking for. the only thing was that i couldnt find the make of the alarm on any of the components. ill be sure to check it over again tommorow.

orange: yes those are my plans exactly, to just run a simple fuel cut off (already have it done on my other jeep)

EDIT: the small dealer i bought it from said there may have been a remote start included in the alarm system (key fob does not work and the pics on the buttons are completely worn off). whats the best way to check for this and remove it?

Last edited:
Back