• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Removal

Stukboy

NAXJA Forum User
My 92XJ 4dr has asked me to remove its doors. Since this in in my project plans, I thought i'd see if anyone knows the EASY way to remove the door pins???? (Without damaging the hinge)

I want to replace the stock pins with ones that makes it EASY to put on and off.

Thanx for the info.

Stukboy

You can drive them out with a suitable punch and a small mallet iirc. Half of them are put in from the top, the other half from the bottom, I forget which side is which but it's not too hard to figure out looking at it.

I'm not sure why you couldn't just turn them down a couple thousandths of an inch and use them all from the top for removable doors, most people seem to cut the hinges to make it easier. I'm currently on the fence about this on my MJ (even though it's remaining at stock height with stock tires) simply because it means I won't have to pull the darn fenders off to swap the new doors I got for it on.

I noticed that some of the pins are flush with the hinge on the top and some on the bottom. I guess i'll start with the ones flush on top.
I was thinking of honing(sp) the hinge holes for a removable pin like you said.

I thought that is what I would hear but wanted to be sure.

Any other thoughts or even a picture or two from anyone.

Thanx.

I doubt you'll be able to push them out while they are attached but you can certainly try

When I went doorless, a couple of pins literally fell out of the hinges, and a couple of them snapped while trying to push them out with a 5-ton shop press. With the weight of the door on them they'll be pretty hard to move.

Also the hinges are all the same part, but the opposites are flipped so that they face the right way. So the hinges on one side have the pin head at the top, and the hinges on the other side have the pin head at the bottom. You'll need to be a contortionist to get to the ones that have the head at the top since they'll have to be pounded out from below.

Yeah, you have to knock the pins out that are flush on the bottom, then insert them from the top. Much easier when the doors are off the Jeep. Then you can cut the bottom part of the hinges off to make the doors easily removable. Here's my hinges.

hinge.jpg

Back