• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering column shake and rattle

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
i got this odd issue that is bothering the crap out of me. When going over rough terrain or a rough road, the steering wheel wobbles and shimmies like mad. If you don't hold it steady it was start bouncing up and down real fast. Seems like something is loose in the steering column but all the bolts are tight. I checked all the main column bolts but it seems to be the BIG bracket that's holding all the bolts cuz when I push up on the column, the whole bracket moves a bit. Are there some bolts hidden that I don't have access to through the lower dash (knee shield) that could be loose?

I can't seem to figure out how to get the dash off and it seems like a chore. if anyone knows how to remove the upper part of the dash, lemme know.

Sounds like you may have loose bolts in your tilt assembly. Check out the link below...

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/loose-steering-column-repair-feels-like-tilt-broke-13641/

I think the tilt's fine. The steering wheel and the column going in the dash both shake. (i have a 2001 by the way)

From what I see, the column bolts onto the firewall plus some big metal bracket above it. This metal bracket has slack in it somewhere causing the column to wiggle/shake. Either the bracket is loose or is cracked from the accident is my guess but I just dont' know where to look. I can only get off the lower dash under the column.

IMG_0357.jpg

That big silver bracket on the driver's side has two nuts near the windshield. I'm betting those are loose on mine. Do you think I have to unbolt the entire dash to get to them?

I don't think I could get my meat hooks and fat arms up there, working blind, but maybe a skinny could. Pull the driver's seat and lay down in there and see what you think.

Back