• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

track bar question

CromeY90

NAXJA Forum User
hey i need a new track bar and im not sure if i can use a stock one i have a 4 inch lift does having a lift even matter for the track bar or can i just use a stock one i kno its a little bit of a noob question but im not sure

I've used stock ones with mild lifts with no problems. I just drill a new hole in the diff track bar bracket 3/4" to the drivers side of the stock hole. Bolt it on and go.

I wouldn't use a stock trac bar with more then 3" of lift and that's with a relocating bracket. The angles created by the lift will cause failure of the TRE at the frame bracket. Best to get an aftermarket trac bar for the lift you have.

I agree with jeeperjohn, A replacement track bar is a very good idea past a couple inches of lift.

There is a number of good ones to choose from. I like JKS and KEVINS. Gut one that allows for future lifts as "inchitus" is quite likely.

CW

Whats the best trac bar for the money? Was looking around about rough country but here some bad things... Is it really worth it to spend the extra money for a JKS?

Check out the one that Clayton has..It comes with the bar and the bracket..HEAVY DUTY STUFF!!

Another question on top of that... may be dumb but just want to make sure..

if i get a track bar and then change my axel i will be able to use that same track bar right?

as long as you dont change suspension types... if you swapped in another d30, or any axle with a conventional under the axle panhard, 4 link front jeep suspension, it's the same thing.

Don't forget you may need a drop pitman arm to realign your steering when using a trackbar with a frame end drop bracket. And alot of the trackbars with the drop bracket may not work with only 3" of lift...

Last edited:
Don't forget you may need a drop pitman arm to realign your steering when using a trackbar with a frame end drop bracket. And alot of the trackbars with the drop bracket may not work with only 3" of lift...

Just to clarify, The only time you should use a drop pitman is if your also dropping the track bar mount. They (TB and DL )need to be in alignment to function properly. Not all TB's have a frame mount that changes its position. Dropped pitman arms have nothing directly to do with lifting a vehicle...

CW

Check out the one that Clayton has..It comes with the bar and the bracket..HEAVY DUTY STUFF!!

I think Clayton has two styles ... One with the drop bracket, and one that uses the stock bracket.

The Clayton stuff is pretty pricey, but they offer free shipping on anything over $100 so it usually comes out about even. Plus, if you are on the East coast and order in the morning, you'll have it the next day.

And no matter what you do, make sure the track bar bracket is REALLY tight to the frame, or you'll get nasty death wobble.

You can also check out ironman4x4fab.com

I recommend the ironrockoffroad one it has a super beefy bracket and double shear upper end and it's solid steel. Just put one on my jeep and I love it.

Whats the best trac bar for the money? Was looking around about rough country but here some bad things... Is it really worth it to spend the extra money for a JKS?

I bought the rough country one because it was cheap. Its been fine for me for a few months, but I got a hand-me-down RE from a friend, and dear god, it is like night and day (quality wise. Still have the rough country on).
If I bought another one I would not get the rough country. There was a thread recently that mentioned a TB that you could adjust without removing. That sounds great. I will look for it...

EDIT: it was from this link http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1027740
says it is sold by ironmax4x4fab.com, but that doesnt seem to be a valid link.
Ben

Last edited:
Back