• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd ax15 identification

metalman

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 2wd ax15, it matches all descriptions, but the output shaft has 26 or 27 splines. I am aware that 4wd version is different, and that I will have to change to the 4wd main/output shaft when I rebuild the trans. Supposedly this one came from an 88 2wd Comanche.

Does anyone have any info about the 2wd versions or a resource for IDing them, I know this trans came in a few different things, I just want to make sure I have a version that is compatible for converting to the 4wd version.

the reason I got into this was that I picked up the trans for 100$, so I can take my time rebuilding it while the jeep is still drivable.

Thanks for all replies

its not a ba10, its got the deep ribs and matches the ax15 photos perfectly, except for the tail shaft and that its 2wd, I've even compared it to a ba10

AX15 into the XJ and MJ POST 3/9/89.

Unless it had been swapped out it is a BA10/5 Peugeot.

Go to Novak 4x4 here: http://www.novak-adapt.com/about/philosophy.htm

Select "Knowledge--Transmissions" and then "Manual Transmissions". You will find listings for both the AX15 and the BA 10/5 Peugeot, each has full descriptions and pictures.

it is definitely not a ba10, and it looks identical to the case of the ax15, it also has the 10 spline input shaft, so it isn't an ax 5 either, and the novak info doesn't mention the 2wd output shaft, or any output shaft with more than 23 splines. I'm almost certain it is an ax15, i just wanted to find out if it was some kind of odd ball that wouldn't be compatible with the 250$ 4wd main shaft plus 200$ rebuild kit I was looking to buy for it

Around here that $250 + $200 would buy you an 4wd XJ, sometimes even one that runs!

Ok, as long as you are 99.999% positive--just check on the return policies for those parts.

And thanks for your service. :cheers: :patriot: :patriot:

Back