• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case leak

xjsport96

NAXJA Forum User
I just got done installing my AA sye kit. The first time i sealed the transfer case i put sealent on one half of the case only and spread it out evenly with my finger but when i filled it up i had a leak coming from the left side. The second time i sealed it i applied the sealent to both sides of the transfer case and it still leaked. Im using black rtv sealent am i using the wrong kind or is their a certain amount of time i have to wait for the rtv to dry before filling up the transfer case? Thanks

Have you tried putting it on both sides and letting them "set up" a little before putting them together?

Split the case again (much as you don't want to do this).

Remove all traces of old RTV. A whiz wheel is good for this. So is a *fine* wire wheel or wire brush. Go gentle on the alum.

Then wipe both halves with brake cleaner and let it dry.

Once it's dry ... run a SINGLE bead of " The Right Stuff " on the back half of the case (the half with the low range, gears, and chain). Let it sit for about 30 seconds and do *not* rub or smear it around. Slowly lower the front half of the case on. Obviously, make sure it's clean of any fluids that could drip onto the bead.

Torque in a criss-cross pattern and snug it up good. Do the same with the output housing.

And you'll never have another leak again.

I've yet to *ever* have a leak using " The Right Stuff " Just don't smear any kind RTV/Silcone/etc .... that's a big chunk of your problem right there.

Joe

Did you get the AA package with the Tom Woods driveshaft? If so, did the shaft come with the SYE or did it ship separately? I received my kit from AA today and there was no driveshaft with it. I sent them an email asking but have not gotten a response yet.

Im using black rtv sealent am i using the wrong kind or is their a certain amount of time i have to wait for the rtv to dry before filling up the transfer case? Thanks
Are you just putting it together, then putting fluid in?

Yes, you need to let the RTV cure for a little while. I would run a bead, no need to smear it, then let it dry for an hour or two before you put any fluid in it.

Remove all traces of old RTV. A whiz wheel is good for this. So is a *fine* wire wheel or wire brush. Go gentle on the alum.
X2. Use a brass wire wheel for extra insurance, that way you won't chew up the mating surfaces as much... though on a milled case edge, a razor gasket scraper does a rather nice job.

Don't go so heavy on the RTV that it might squeeze out a large blob inside that can break off, it could clog the lube pump intake. But don't go too light on it either.

having clean surfaces is the key to a good seal. the sealant needs to have something to bond to. i used ultra black rtv on my SYE. never leaked. you really have to be super anal with cleaning the mating surfaces (i use a scraper, wire wheel, and brake cleaner, my fingernails sometimes, and more brake cleaner) if you want to have a good, non leaky seal. FWIW, i do the same for my diffs and they never leak either.

edit: x2 on the only running a single 3/16" or so bead.

Back