• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter compatibility

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Would a starter from a 96 work in a 89? Both autos if that makes a difference.

I parted out my 96 and it had a brand new starter in it... if I can use it in my 89 I will, just so I've got a fresh starter.

Thanks!

Yeah, you may have to change the starter relay connection to the solenoid, but a 4.0 is a 4.0, although the parts stores will charge an extra $100 for a starter for the later models.

Should work... I know for sure the later (97+) had a different connector instead of just a "ring"/nut for the solenoid, not sure on the 96. Simple to work around tho. Otherwise, maybe sell it and get a replacement for 70$

Easy workaround. I've swapped between 89, 95 and 99. The later starter probably has a push-on connector, but it may be screwed on. If so, just take it off and screw your wire on in its place. If not, just put a push-on terminal on the wire. No issues with fitting or operation otherwise.

Back