• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adding 3inches

I had a 3"+ lift for about 2 years with no brake line extensions and no sway bar extensions. I didn't get brake line drop brackets until I went to 4.5" lift. The sway bar should be fine. I never noticed any difference at that height. Just to help with my drive-line joints and angles I did install a 1" transfer case drop bracket though, but it wasn't necessary.

Generally speaking, if you want to get an idea of what *should* be done with a lift, look at the contents of an RE lift kit. Mind you, that doesnt mean you have to do all of that, nor am I saying RE is 'the way to go', but its probably a good idea to consider what they have included as a reasonable equipment list.

RE 3.5" lift kit:

RE1171 - DISCONNECT ADAPTERS XJ/ZJ PRE-
RE1175 - SWAY BAR END LINKS XJ/ZJ/TJ
RE1300 - COIL SPRINGS XJ 3.5"/PAIR
RE1463 - LEAF SPRING XJ 3.5" W/BUSHING
RE1515 - BRAKE LINE SS REAR 18"
RE2421 - U-BOLT KIT M35 REAR, YJ / XJ 2
RE3705 - CONTROL ARM SR2 LOWER FIXED

IMO yes you need a trackbar at 3", but they don't install one.

I have done 3" lifts with and without changing the trackbar. If its mostly an on road rig, its fine. If its on the trail all day, it will go through factory trackbars pretty quick.

at the height your going to have to redrill a hole for the track bar, its not going to reach. in fact the RE kit calls for redrilling a hole. buy a RE or JKS trac bar and be done with it.

look into TJ brake lines, can be had at your local auto parts shop for cheap, and are a tad longer.

at the height your going to have to redrill a hole for the track bar, its not going to reach. in fact the RE kit calls for redrilling a hole. buy a RE or JKS trac bar and be done with it.

look into TJ brake lines, can be had at your local auto parts shop for cheap, and are a tad longer.

The problem isn't the redrilling of the hole though, its overextending the TRE at the frame side of the trackbar. I've seen a couple of those TRE's break off when the suspension flexes.

We put a 3" lift on my buddy's 96. Had to relocate/straighten the front brake lines, replace the rear soft line (it might have been okay, but a new line from a Wrangler was like $20), extend the sway bar links (M10 allthread and barrel nuts- <$10 at Fastenal), and shim the control arms (scrap material).

The sway bar links were hitting the coils, so that was a must, although not everyone has that issue apparently. Shimming the arms was probably not an absolute necessity, but he wasn't thrilled with the handling, and the coils were slightly bowed, and the shims helped on both accounts.

well today i suspended it all by the frame on jacks to see wat was going on and it all seemed to be good.but il put on wat i need wen it hapens but u guys helped out

Back