• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 2wd- 4wd

this belongs in the tech section. I will move it over there and you will get some answers.

easy way: front axle, front driveshaft, transmission, transfer case, rear driveshaft, shift lever and linkage stuff for transfer case. Maybe a little more if you care about the part-time light on the dashboard telling you that you just pulled the 4WD lever.

While you're in there, replace all the control arm bushings and the transmission mount.

hard way: instead of a whole 4WD transmission, just get the tailshaft and tailhousing from a 4WD unit. You will need to remove and disassemble the entire 2WD transmission, swap out the tailshaft, reassemble it, and add the 4WD transfer case adapter tail housing instead of the 2WD slip yoke tail housing. With entire 4WD transmissions costing $120-150 from the junkyard, it's really probably not worth it.

Front dana 30, 4wd transmission, transfer case, transfer case linkage, front and rear driveshafts. I've done this swap on a 98 and if you have the time, parts, space, tools and patience it isn't all that difficult. The easiest way, however, is to buy a 4wd xj, park it in your driveway and then sell your 2wd xj - swap complete.

Your transmission currently has a slip yoke setup so it doesn't really match spline count on any particular 4WD tranny year, I'd personally go with a 91 or later transmission+transfer case though as they are 23 spline parts and much more common in the junkyards. Also, that reminds me, you probably want to aim for a 97 or earlier setup as the output speed sensor on a 98 or later unit will give the wrong signal and will require a little electronics wizardry to make it work right. Personally I would aim for a 91 to 95 because the transfer case rear output housing will be less likely to cause vibrations if you add lift at some later point in time.

You may or may not need to swap your VSS (vehicle speed sensor) over from the back end of the 2wd tranny to the transfer case on the 4wd tranny, depending on how far off the donor is from a 95.

EDIT: yes, you could, but why would you tear up a comanche? They're pretty rare :( unless it's sitting in a junkyard torn up already I would say to keep it in one piece.

I did it on a 2wd Comanche. Just make sure all the parts either come off of the same vehicle, or that you're matching years, tranny, etc (driveshaft lengths vary with manual vs auto tranny, etc.) It would be easier if you could get all the parts off of one vehicle.

ya ive been looking around and the best i can come up with is 500 at a junk yard but idk wat kind of condition it is in and the way they lift them by frame so idk if i sud trust it

I would personally cruise craigslist and see if you can buy a 95 4wd that is rusted to hell or totaled, but without damaging the parts you need. As a bonus, you end up with a LOT of spare parts. You could also get a 94 parts jeep and have most things fit.

x2 on the parts jeep. That's what i did, it is way easier when they're parked next to each other and you're just swapping out parts. When you're done part it out to recover your purchase price.
I would personally cruise craigslist and see if you can buy a 95 4wd that is rusted to hell or totaled, but without damaging the parts you need. As a bonus, you end up with a LOT of spare parts. You could also get a 94 parts jeep and have most things fit.

Yeah... plus 500 is way insane for those parts, at least around here. Tranny 120, transfer case 100 (unless you leave it connected to the tranny, in which case they might take pity and charge you 150 for the whole lot), driveshaft 20, random bits and pieces 20, axle 100, rear driveshaft 20. Comes to 380 or less.

You can probably pick up a parts jeep for less than 500 on CL and like soopergoober said, cover the costs by parting it out afterwards.

Back