• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

<Noob. How to Search? DEATH WOBBLE!

AdamGBabcock

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I just joined NAXJA because I finally found an XJ that i want :laugh3:. I am trying to search the forum but can't figure out how. Do I just have to sort through all of the posts or is there a better way?

What I'm trying to look up is info on death wobble. I've never experienced it before but I think I may have got some yesterday because it was wobbling and I thought we were going to die haha. The front sway bar is disconnected and it looks like one of the front tires is slightly off camber so maybe that's causing it? The situation was going up a relatively steep hill at about 35-40 and holding the gas down pretty hard. I had just been wheelin' and some water made it's way into the distributor cap and was causing misfire and rough idle. After I pulled off the road and fixed that I didn't experience the death wobble anymore, could this be part of the severe jerking I was getting?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

(Here's what I've got in case it helps: 1990 XJ, 7" suspension lift, 35" tires)

WOW that is really helpfull !!! 4+ years and i didnt know half those lil tricks ha ha.

Oh, and Welcome aboard AdamGBabcock !!!

check for slop in the tracbar and the stearing stablizer...

Post some pics of the front end too. Depending on how it is set-up, there could be some geometry issues that could be causing problems. 7" is pretty high, stock steering or after-market?

trac bar is the one that i've learned my lesson on a few times! Death wobble sucks!

Thanks for the help with finding the not-so-hidden search button that I was strugglin with the other day haha. I'll get some pics of the front end in just a few minutes. I don't know if the steering is upgraded so I'm going to assume stock.(n)

Sorry, not the best lighting conditions and kind of embarrassed about the blue differential cover haha.

jpjwyg.jpg

do54zd.jpg

358z6mq.jpg

I'm going to vote stock all the way around... aftermarket trackbars are typically larger in diameter than stock steering linkage, and that one appears the be the same.

Also, welcome to the board Adam. Where in Puyallup exactly? I roll down there with the wife on a frequent basis to visit family. Perhaps we can take a look at your rig and see about maybe reducing the lift and trimming some fenders to get you a litte lower and more stable, yet still retain performance and such offroad :)

Feel free to come over and talk if you see the rig rolling around, always happy and willing to meet a new XJ dude and lend a hand to a new guy.

My rig -
12294_391644496912_642731912_4868192_5639906_n.jpg

you may know this location, off of South Meridian by all the dealerships. Skatepark is in the background.

Last edited:
7" of lift and a stock trac bar = big problems.

stock steering and bigger then 31"s = Big problems

JeeperMatt: I know the area, can't say I've seen the exact spot though. I live off Meridian in between Good Sam hospital and the South Hill Mall. If you're in town and want to take a peak, I'd be willing to meet somewhere but I am looking for a cheap situation fix, kind of limited on funds haha.

nw-xj-scott: I can probably find a track bar easy enough, I swear I had a RE laying around last month... what components of the steering need to be changed for me to safely keep my 35s?

nw-xj-scott: I can probably find a track bar easy enough, I swear I had a RE laying around last month... what components of the steering need to be changed for me to safely keep my 35s?
I would atleast upgrade the Draglink/tie rod system.. since your over in pile-up i would talk to john over at aubern car repair and offroad.. he makes a pretty nice steering package for an average price.

a Rubicon express HD trac bar and Bracket will be a good upgrade. it will recenter the axle and be strong enough to keep it there.

Okay... I haven't done anything since this post was started because I hadn't experienced any more :firedevilDEATH WOBBLE:firedevil. Today I was driving up a steep hill around 40 and when I was rounding a corner I hit a small bump and shit did the XJ start buckin' and jumpin'! Immediately following it was really easy to get the wobble going again. Based on the situations that have caused the :firedevilDEATH WOBBLE:firedevil so far, any strong recommendations on what the problem might be? I am VERY broke lately so I would prefer not to throw money in the wrong direction.

Thanks,
Adam

I used to get alot of death wobble from the track bar. Make sure its nice n tight or swap in an RE or IRO bar and mount. I have the IRO and it helped make it feel a lot tighter...no more death wobble.

Ok, I haven't gotten under there yet as it just happened but what do you think the chances are it's just that everything needs a good tightening? Also, when I look it the front of my jeep it seems as though the wheels aren't perfectly aligned, or one might be off camber.

the problems are not going to fix themselves. if you really do have 7" of lift. or anywhere near that. and you are still using the stock track bar, that is your problem. I have no doubts.

I didn't say the problems would fix themselves, I said that what originally happened didn't happen again until a few hours ago. And I really do have 7" of lift, otherwise I wouldn't have said so. I'm just looking for a cheap way to remedy the problem because I don't have infinite money... hence why I own an XJ. No need to get snooty.:looser:

Back