• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing D35 with D44 Rear - Need Advice!

chainsawhutch

NAXJA Forum User
I have '96 2wd XJ. Just put 3" lift leafs from Rancho on the rear. Now, I would like to swap out my Dana 35 with my Dana 44. With the 3" lift added, would it be possible to simply install the 44 without replacing the drive shaft and/or yoke, etc.?

Actually, IMO, you're less likely to be OK at a low lift height swapping from a 35 to a 44/8.25 with a 2WD because the driveshaft is at a lower angle, resulting in less length change for the same amount of lift. I may be thinking this through backwards, but it seems logical to me.

I can guarantee you that it doesn't - the stock rear driveshaft lengths for 2WD and 4WD are different. I'll have to take some pics when I get around to pulling the 2WD AW4 out of my MJ and replacing it with a 4WD unit.

EDIT: according to some tables in the rear driveshaft length comparison thread on comancheclub, the difference in length is approximately 10.775" - a SWB 4.0/aw-4/np231/d30/d35 MJ has a 42.35" rear shaft, while a SWB 4.0/aw4/2wd/d35 MJ has a 53.125" rear shaft. That's a much larger difference than I expected, honestly.

Last edited:
Back