• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rubber fender trim?

KentuckyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
well i dont have the XJ anymore...moved on to a ranger after my failed attempts at finding a decent comanche....

but i know alot of you guys trim the fenders as mine used to be, im looking for some kind of trim that i can put on the fenders of my ranger after i cut them...maybe something glue on or screw/bolt?

havent had any luck at finding much...thanks guys

even if you cant follow a straight line it can hide some of your mistakes and make sure u put it on a clean surface so it will stick it also has to be pretty warm for it to bond properly

i think that the stuff i tried on the fenders of my old xj...first time any mud or anything got on them they pulled right off, never could get them to stick right

any other options out there?

The door trim AutoZone sells isn't good for cut fenders. Since they'll start to flex at speed, and the climate makes them expand/contract, they fall off really easily. I've used them over the past year or so and gave up after having to replace them every few months. IMO just do a clean trim and try to avoid flaking the paint. It'll look fine.

Is there any reason why you couldn't get the autozone trim and use a stronger adhesive to attach it? I would think you may get better result that way. Maybe even giving the very edge a coat of primer or some other kind of rough textured paint in maybe a 1/4"-1/2" strip along the edge of the wheel opening, perhaps that would promote better adhesion... I'm not speaking through experience though, I'm merely throwing ideas out there.

Protekto universal trim. has a 3M sticky side. looks great especially on the front fenders. doesnt have a lip or anything though. i think it came in either a 20' or 30' roll when i got mine (somewhere on the internet). anyways it was enough to do 6 fenders total so far and i still have some left

another vote for staying away from the autozone stuff, i couldnt get it to stick/stay either.... i gave up and ran it raw untill replacing with fiberglass

The door trim AutoZone sells isn't good for cut fenders. Since they'll start to flex at speed, and the climate makes them expand/contract, they fall off really easily. I've used them over the past year or so and gave up after having to replace them every few months. IMO just do a clean trim and try to avoid flaking the paint. It'll look fine.

My problem is the guy that had my jeep first did a hack job on them and i want it to look descent lol he cut way to much to begin with and it looks horrible... Guess it will just look like shit until i get new fenders and do it myself

Back