• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle U-Joint Choice and Axle Tube Seals

I didn't click on your other thread, but if you're asking what axle joints to buy, don't get anything other than Spicer 760x and install them with full circle clips. The only other thing is to get aftermarket chromo joints if you're also installing chromo shafts. Any place that you're using OEM u-joints, stick to Spicer, they are just better.

Even better than maybe Alloy X-joints?

I'd also like to know the concensus on the tube seals. I have RCV's to install and will probably order some tube seals before the install. The way I figure, they can only help. I've gone through some pretty cruddy water at Rausch Creek and in the Outer Banks, which I'm sure is full of sand and all kinds of bad stuff for my seals and axles.

I wouldn't get the Alloy USA u-joints. They had a production problem a while back and I wouldn't be comfortable whether they rectified the problem.

A couple years ago when I bought new Dana 30 inner shafts directly from Alloy USA, they came with...Spicer 760s.

Ya, I agree with Jonnyc, the alloy x-joints have had production problems recently.

I have a pair in my front axle, but I luckily ordered them before they started running into problems.

I don't know about Alloy X-joints. Chromo shafts normally come with snap ringed Spicer 760x joints unless you also order chromo joints with the axles.

John, I don't know how long they can last, it all depends on the grease, which can depend on if/how often they've been in water. In an OEM rig axle joints can last virtually forever.

I believe when I got my Alloy USA D30 shafts in 2006, they were warranted against breakage for 10 years when using Spicer 760s or CTMs only. I will run Spicer 760s or CTMs only.

I believe the tube seals to be a waste. They will eventually leak then they are just making it more difficult for things to get out of the tubes.

?

They're not meant to keep gear oil in by themselves. They are meant to keep dirt/mud/whatever out of the tubes.

i have also heard they help prevent ball joint breakage when u joint failure occurs, the seal doesnt allow the shaft to get bound up against the other and whatnot (i would assume the metal part of the seal, rubber aint stoppin that thing)

Makes sense to me, if it acts as a sort of outer bushing/bearing to keep the axle shaft from flexing back and forth and reaching for the balljoint.

On the flip side, whatever does get in past the tube seal will stay in there for longer.

When I was rebuilding my Dana 30, I got some of the Alloy USA axle tube seals. East Coast Gear had a pretty screamin deal on them so I figured why not. Had them in for a while and no complaints.

?

They're not meant to keep gear oil in by themselves. They are meant to keep dirt/mud/whatever out of the tubes.

Yes I am aware of that. However, they do a very poor job of doing just that. The tube seals use two rubber seals that run on very rough areas of the axle. These rubber seals quickly wear out, then they are simply keeping stuff in.

Yes I am aware of that. However, they do a very poor job of doing just that. The tube seals use two rubber seals that run on very rough areas of the axle. These rubber seals quickly wear out, then they are simply keeping stuff in.

Yeah, sand your shafts smooth before putting them in those seals. Common sense pretty much dictates that.

Yeah, sand your shafts smooth before putting them in those seals. Common sense pretty much dictates that.

Yep, take it down and use a crocus cloth to polish it up--seals need a smooth ride.

This might be a stupid idea... but if you have an air locker, run a very low amount of pressure (1-2psi, no higher and maybe even lower) to each axle tube outside the inner seals and inside the tube seals, I would think it would help to keep stuff from sneaking past the tube seals. This technique is used in high power RF comms to keep condensation out of transmission lines by purging them with dry nitrogen, and works great. My only worry would be the inner seals.

I believe when I got my Alloy USA D30 shafts in 2006, they were warranted against breakage for 10 years when using Spicer 760s or CTMs only. I will run Spicer 760s or CTMs only.

I have warranteed out Alloy-USA shafts about six times now, as recently as last week. I've yet to have been asked what u-joints I was running.

Mind you, its entirely possible that everyone affiliated with Alloy/Ten already *KNOWS* what u-joints I run, but they have never asked me. =)

It's time to replace my axle shaft joints so:

Can I run the 760x on the stock shafts?
What needs to be done to run full circle clips?
I run mostly backroads but see some occasional mud/water, what's the consensus on the tube seals and where do I get them?

Did the OP ever order from that Ebay link?

Back