• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OH S***! my airbags...

darjevon

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. I have a 99 XJ Sport 4x4 bone stock so far. I have been looking around the forum, and so far you guys have helped me immensely! I fixed my heating/ac resistor block (corroded resistance wire, resoldered and works great) and ac vent selector (broken line to vac reservior caused by prior front end hit; line duct taped and works great!). Anyway, I now have the worst of all. Both front airbags deployed in a ~10mph accident, why i dont know. How do I replace the airbags? Do i need to replace the airbag computer module? Does anyone happen to know how to reset the airbag light? I did that on my civic with a jumper wire some years ago and it worked great.

I really don't have any money right now, so I can't afford to pay the $2k my dealer quoted me for new bags.

Thanks so much in adv,

JOE!

You will need a Factory Service Manual, replacement air bags, a new air bag control module, and maybe a new clock ring. I have seen most of this stuff at my local junkyard and on ebay.

Theres a recall for that airbag control module, found that out today when I got an estimate on some front end damage

check into it, maybe thats why they deployed at 10 mph, maybe you could swing getting that paid for if that was the case...you never know

I just hit a pick up truck that stopped at a green light going about 15 mph and mine didn't blow

Sounds liek my problem... I did the front end stuff myself tho because my bumper mounts, radiator, and condenser took the hit completely. replaced those and bumper, and now it looks new, cept the bumper is black not blue... but oh well. oh yeah it was the damage that cut my vac reservoir line too.

good to know that it isn't completely impossible for the shade tree mec to replace airbags.

clockspring looks alright, I reckon it still works.

If your airbag module is under the drivers seat on the floor then the recall was never done, it's under the center console it was done. What I don't know is if the recall was just a move or if it was a move and new module.

According to what I read today they move it to on top of the tranny somewhere and will replace it if its corroded

The FSM for my 2000 says only the bags need replaced in the event of deployment. It also states to replace the clockspring regardless of what it looks like. It says 90% of the time it will be damaged even if it is not visable. The light should go out when all is fixed. Oh, and make for damn shure you disconect the battery when messing with them.

Any way to turn the airbags off w/ a switch or something. It would be nice to turn the pasenger off and keep the drivers side on. Asking alot....naw!

EBXJBOB said:
According to what I read today they move it to on top of the tranny somewhere and will replace it if its corroded

Can you put up a link to the source you read?

Yeah my source isn't online

When I gave my registration to the body shop to give me an estimate the program they use pulls ups recalls and it pulled that up

so I'm just reading the paper that printed out

I could scan it in to my computer and post it up if you want

IIRC corretly you will be fine with bags and a clockspring. just disconnect the battery and unscrew you old ones and install the clockspring and the new bags. when i did them i would generally point them away from my face when i plugged them in, but the chances for deployment are miniscule. and if i remember the recall was to relocate for corrosion wasn't it?

flht1997 said:
IIRC corretly you will be fine with bags and a clockspring. just disconnect the battery and unscrew you old ones and install the clockspring and the new bags. when i did them i would generally point them away from my face when i plugged them in, but the chances for deployment are miniscule. and if i remember the recall was to relocate for corrosion wasn't it?

YES

Back