• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre-sagged bastard pack

chameleo78

NAXJA Forum User
'94/4.0/AW4/231/126K

Ok I need to do something to my 17 year old suspension. I don't see the point in spending money on new springs and not adding some height at the same time. I think my coils are ok, not real sure how to check them. My leafs, however, are inverted when my Jeep is just sitting on level ground. My original plan to lift was to do a bastard pack using a second XJ pack but I'm not sure if my stock leaves are worth reusing considering their condition. Any thoughts on this? I'm also considering the OME 2" springs from Quadratec. Those and a boomerang shackle will get me probably more lift than I'm really looking for right now. If I decide to do a bastard pack should I be looking at other sources S-10/Dakota/Durango? I really only want about 2-2.5" and would like to maintain stock ride or better. I know bastard packs are really mix-n-match but the age of the springs is my concern.

Sorry for the long post with little more than a few simple questions but I guess I was feeling long-winded.

Springs are springs, they don't care how old they are. If the current leaves are weaker, you can add one leaf and probably end up with exactly the same as what a brand new stock pack would be. It doesn't much matter if you have 5 leaves with a touch less arch or 4 leaves with more arch......and the one with more leaves would likely resist spring wrap a little better.

In other words, don't worry much about the condition of the current leaves, just build a new pack by adding a leaf or two and see what you get. It's trial and error, but it's cheap. It's best to split the length difference of the leaves when you add one, and make sure the added leaf has the friction pads. I never care what a leaf comes out of, as long as it's the same thickness and width as the other leaves, I'm only concerned with the length and will it be spaced properly.

What Goatman says.

Just build the packs, trial and error. Any ole 2.5'' spring pack will work for cannibalization. Have fun.

just a warning... I put 2" OME springs (CS035RAs) on mine. I ended up at 3.5". So then I had to do the fronts too (OME934s) or it looked stupid :dunno:

I guess what I'm saying is that you should be careful or you may end up lifting it more than you mean to by accident and it is all downhill from there :roflmao:

Back