• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Mechanical oil pressure gauge recommendation?

vn_grnt

NAXJA Forum User
Any suggestions will be helpful.
I have a 98 Sport 4wd 4.0
100k miles
Runs great and makes no unusual noises, but the stock oil pressure gauge is erratic and I want to rule it out before I drive my rig from Oregon to Florida where I'll ship it to my duty station in Haiti, (where it will undoubtedly live out it's days).
I'm currently in Haiti and will have my wife take it to a shop in Oregon for the installation, (I know, I know, normally I'd do it myself, but Haiti and Oregon are a long ways from each other and I'll have limited leave time to get there and back, so I need to have a shop do it before I return home).

I've searched the forums but haven't found any suggestions other than "swap to a manual gauge".

Thanks,
EC

You could switch to a mechanical oil pressure gauge, but what most are talking about is using a mechanic's mechanical oil pressure gauge to test the vehicle's oil pressure: http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-ATD-..._4?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1268616372&sr=8-4

About a 10 minute job. If your oil pressure is good you probably just need a new sending unit. Most auto parts stores will rent you a gauge. If you do need a new sending unit buy one from the dealer or NAPA.

Joe,
Thanks very much for the clarification. That's a great suggestion and I'll do that at a minimum, for piece of mind though, I may still also install a permanent mechanical gauge, (I'm thinking SUNPRO).

Thanks very much.
EC

Joe,
Thanks very much for the clarification. That's a great suggestion and I'll do that at a minimum, for piece of mind though, I may still also install a permanent mechanical gauge, (I'm thinking SUNPRO).

Thanks very much.
EC

Autometer, Sunpro, as far as mechanical gauges they are all pretty much the same, so any one will work well for you.

Good luck.

Joe, why dont you fix his XJ?

Back