• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Dana30 Stearing relocator???

FELIX

Who Knows, Ask Who
Has anyone used this http://www.mesa4x4.com/parts/go_fer_it/gf-flipinsert.html What are some of your guys thoughts to this cheap solution?

Thanks again

Rob
felix1-ani-av.gif

www.goferitoffroad.com has had those for a while. they seem to work well.

edit: now that i look at it, those are the exact same pictures.
and its $3.something more expensive there.

wonder if goferit knows about this??

i made something simillar 2 years ago and i like it. it raises the tie rod. no problem for 2 years. i did have to notch a little in the sway bar bracket because it was touching tie rod at full turn. jack

Thanks for the reply's. I'm thinking about getting them, & was just worried, using a cheap fix, instead of swapping knuckles & all the rest I've seen.
Thanks again

Rob
felix1-ani-av.gif
99-750.gif

It doesnt work,you cannot flip an XJ drag link(unless you can find a RHD draglink).Why not just do a 3/4 ton conversion!

Phx, this is to flip the tie rod. But yes, it's kind of pointless if you dont do something about the draglink. Build your own steering like I did on my old D30. Goatman also did a much nicer steering on his D30.

xover1.jpg

xover2.jpg

boxedarm.jpg

The vendor is listed as goferit.

Couldn't you use these on both ends when making a tie rod/over knuckle steering setup using TRES instead of heims?? or am I missing something?

Well the plan is, to use Rusty's tie rod conversion, & use the flip inserts. Looking at it, it does't seem to be a problem. I already have an adj track bar. Does anyone see any problems I might have???
Thanks again

Rob

felix1-ani-av.gif
99-750.gif

i have the same idea, only i am gonna use yj drag link and tie rod. i am too cheap to buy the bushings, so i'm making some on a friend's lathe this weekend. he even has the reamer to get the taper in the hole.
kent

Lucas said:
The vendor is listed as goferit.

Couldn't you use these on both ends when making a tie rod/over knuckle steering setup using TRES instead of heims?? or am I missing something?

You're missing a couple things. The stock draglink attaches to the passenger side arm and only fits one way. Therefore you can only raise the driver's side with the insert. The x-over I did used 5/8 x 3/4 heims which are way stronger than stock TREs and worked great with the 35s.

Why buy inserts,do all this drilling welding,special nuts when you could just install 3/4-1 ton tre's,all you have to do is ream the taper!Much stronger too!

Hey RCP Phx, I pm'd you. Could you explain the 3/4-1 ton conv to me. What is needed, what does $$$ look like. What special tools ect

Thanks again

Rob

felix1-ani-av.gif
99-750.gif

It just seems like a cheap way to get the tie rod a bit higher up without buying DOM, inserts, Heims, etc etc... Not running 35s yet.

This may sound stupid, (I don't have my rig to look at, it's in the shop, so I'm trying to picture the steering from memory), but, the reason you can't use it on the drag link side, is because if you flipped the drag link, your tie rod and steering stabilizer connections would be on the wrong side. So, (and I may be reaching here) couldn't you cut off the end of the drag link, drill it, tap it, and screw a tie rod end into it? Then you could have it facing downward, but the rest of your drag link would stay normal. Yes, no, maybe?

To replace everything in my stock steering would've cost $275. I built the DOM x-over steering for $225. If I'd been running stock junk when I bent the .344 DOM TR it wouldn't have been pretty.

Back