• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caution - possible bad batch of RE boomerang shackles

JoCat

NAXJA Member # 1584
NAXJA Member
I thought I'd post a note of warning about Rubicon Express boomerang shackles (RE27000). I had a new set of springs built and installed by Deavers in Santa Ana two days ago. I had purchased a set of RE shackles through alljeep.com, but they arrived shipped straight from RE. Deavers was unable to install them. They are certainly strong and I really like the desigh, but there appeared to be a manufacturing defect. The opening for the spring bushing was about a quarter inch too narrow. Upon closer examination the sides were not parallel either, but narrowed as the bushings moved inward.

Deavers happened to have a second new set sitting there for a different customer, and it turned out those had the identical defect. As it turned out they were able to find a set of shackles from Currie locally, and those went on just fine.

I know RE has a great reputation so I suspect this is an aberation. If you are planning to install a set of recently purchased RE shackles though, I suggest you check to see if the tines are parallel and maybe test fit them early in the process. Deavers said they have installed many shackle sets from RE and these are the first they've had a problem with. It's probably just a bad batch but I thought others on this forum might want to know.

what does that have to do with it? he's not slamming the company in ANY WAY. rubicon express isnt gonna tear down their jeep, only to find out they wasted their time, due to a defective product. his warnings were for US, not rubicon express....

i thank him for his warning.

I did send an email to alljeep.com because that's where I bought it from, but that was late Friday afternoon. I haven't contacted RE directly, but I have every confidence everything will get sorted out next week during normal business hours. I'm really not upset with RE - I just think this is one batch that quality control missed and I thought I might be able to save someone else some trouble. I really like the shackle design, and I'm just sorry I wasn't able to use it this time.

Currie makes excellent products too - I'm using their steering upgrade and I think it's great. Their shackle is not quite as beefy and is about an inch shorter than RE's so I'm sitting half an inch lower than I wanted. That's not enough to make me swap the shackle now, but if Deavers had known I'd be using the Currie shackle they could have adjusted the springs a little. As is - close enough.

Did you or Deavers try contacting RE about the issue yet?

what does that have to do with it? he's not slamming the company in ANY WAY. rubicon express isnt gonna tear down their jeep, only to find out they wasted their time, due to a defective product. his warnings were for US, not rubicon express....

i thank him for his warning.

:twak:

So that RE would be aware of the issue and in turn notify their vendors that there may be an issue with their product. Good customer service, in other words.

:twak:

So that RE would be aware of the issue and in turn notify their vendors that there may be an issue with their product. Good customer service, in other words.

This should ALWAYS be done.

The OP certainly wasn't dissing RE, as he went out of his way to make that abundantly clear. He just wanted to warn anybody that might be attempting the same install they could have issues IN THE SHORT run--like not finishing up the job so they can drive to work. Bravo to the OP for doing it right.

If you have a vendor problem, and you have contacted the vendor, and can't get no satisfaction (song?), THEN it might be appropriate to rant--maybe.

The first time I read what MT Mike said, I understood. And it didn't sound at all like he was talking smack.
Definitely important for company to know whats up.

i got a bad set about a year ago. they shackles were good they just sent the wrong bushings with it. they were about a quarter inch to big. i just called them and they said this happens sometimes and sent me out new bushings.

Not the case this time. The bushing that comes with the shackle is for the frame end. The problem was getting the shackel over the spring eye instead. Deavers did try other bushings by the way - didn't help. The shackle being replaced was also from RE, but the shorter RE1463 that came with the 6130 kit (4.5" lift). The new shackle wouldn't fit over the old spring eye either. Like I said earlier too, the Currie shackle did fit over the spring eye.

I didn't hear back from alljeep.com today, but I'll send another email later and CC RE on it.

You're absolutely right - thank you for the correction. In my defense it doesn't say on the invoice or the box. And, obvioudly, I was too lazy to double check and get it right. My apologies to all.

Just thought I'd post an update and close this out. I sent the shackles back to RE on 3/18/10, and they got back to me 3 days ago on 4/5/10. They reported: "We received the shackles and we inspected them. They fit our leaf springs fine. One was a little tighter than the other but it still fit. There does not appear to be anything wrong with the shackles."

I can't explain why Deaver Springs was unable to fit them on. I can only speculate that the bushings Deaver tried were thicker than the ones RE designed their shackles for, or the Deaver springs are a little wider than the RE ones. If I had it to do over I would have purchased the RE bushings at the same time I bought the shackles, but it's water over the dam now.

In any case RE will be refunding the purchase price and they're not even charging a restocking fee - to which they are certainly entitled, so they're being very good about the whole thing.

I originally purchased the shackles though alljeep.com, which changed ownership last month as well. Despite that there has been no dropped communication or problem processing the refund claim. Prices are good, shipping is fast, and customer service very good there too.

My problem seems to have been an anomaly, and I wouldn't draw any conclusions from it other than RE stands behind their products.

Back