• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diesel smell?!!

EFR98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was on the highway doing about 70mph and I got to a spot where I smelled a diesel like odor. I quickly looked at the gauges to see if anything abnormal was going on. It stayed for a good while till I exited. Still kinda worried it was coming from the XJ. Once I pulled up I started sniffing around. I could smell it from all the wheel wells except for the right front. What fluid smells like diesel? I just replaced the LF wheel bearing could that be the smell? The trans shifted good and the diff fluids are are full. Is it possible that a semi was leaking fuel and spread it across the wet road? The XJ was struggling since there was a strong head wind. I am running 33s on 355 gears if that helps any. Thanks

Auto trans? (It is so helpful when we don't have to ask.)

Sometimes when hard pushed the AW4 will heat up and puke trans fluid out of the dipstick tube, usually ends up on the exhaust system.

you may have driven past a broke down diesel hummer?

Back