• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for headlight upgrade recommendations

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
The headlights on my 01 are by far the worst headlights I've ever had on any vehicle I've ever driven. Ever. So, after searching and reading about headlight upgrades I'm more confused than when I started. Hopefully someone will have at least some opinions on what I should get to achieve my desired effect.

What I want is an upgrade that is:
1. Cheapish
2. Legal
3. Doesn't require immediate harness replacement (I believe this is possible?)
4. Reliable/tested equipment, I don't want to have to replace a bulb every year and things like that

Ideas/suggestions?

most of the time its just high resistance in the wire. easy to fix by putting the headlights on a relay.

easy to chekc by turning the headlights on and checking the voltage at the plug that plugs into the headlight

IPF or Cibie H4s and a harness kit. I have Cibies with a Dan Stern wiring harness kit. The change from stock at night was well worth every penny.

I'll check that, but I'd still like to replace them to at least get rid of the damn yellow color they are.

I run the Narva 100/90 bulb but I also live in Wyoming where bright lights are tolerated a little more and wildlife is better seen prior to impact. Narva also puts out a 60/55 High output bulb. Osrams are another good choice but I don't have any personal experience with them. I included a link Stern's site. The Cibies aren't cheap about as much for one light as a set of IPFs but both seem like great choices. I like the Cibies from past experience and managed to find a set sitting on local wrecking yard's shelf.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com

What I want is an upgrade that is:
1. Cheapish
2. Legal
3. Doesn't require immediate harness replacement (I believe this is possible?)
4. Reliable/tested equipment, I don't want to have to replace a bulb every year and things like that
Ideas/suggestions?

With all those limitations you might as well keep what you have. Without a harness upgrade you can't expect much improvement. And you won't benefit enough from higher wattage bulbs that may damage your wiring.

sbxj is spot on without at least a harness upgrade you might as well go to wally world and get the crappy sealed beams off the shelf. The harness alone will make a world of difference. The newer vehicles are notorious for light weight voltage robbing wiring that inhibits headlight output. In short you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I recommend the Dan Sterns setup. You deal with the owner, he does not cut corners and stands behind his product. However, there a lot of others out there that are a little cheaper and probably pretty good for your needs. I would recommend getting an assembled ready to install harness unless you are comfortable with working on automotive wiring.

Hey guys any other brand name suggestions?

With all those limitations you might as well keep what you have. Without a harness upgrade you can't expect much improvement. And you won't benefit enough from higher wattage bulbs that may damage your wiring.

Roll-your-own harness upgrade: http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

You can source the relays from the salvage yard--it just doesn't get any cheaper than this.

There is no way to make things better without a harness upgrade.

Once you have made your own harness, you can add some Silverstars and that should have you quite happy, or at least hold you over until you have enough money for the big-time stuff.

im running sylvania silverstars with the stock harness and its plenty bright for me. every once and awhile i even get someone who highbeams me because they think im running my highs (yes my headlights are properly aimed). im sure everyone else is right about the necessity for the harness upgrade, but for me just the silverstars were enough

Ditto on the Daniel Stern Website
The Jeep lighting is horrible and I decided to bring it up to date....
jeephid01.jpg

fxrcutoff1-1.jpg

Infinity FX Bi-Xenon projectors retrofitted into 200mm housings
Total cost of project approx. $450

Upgraded harness w/ relays
IPF H4 housings + Bulbs of your choice.

fxrcutoff1-1.jpg

Infinity FX Bi-Xenon projectors retrofitted into 200mm housings
Total cost of project approx. $450

nice cutoff. definately top notch...
if i had to do it again, i'd buy a middle shelf HID setups, two hella 4000's, and convert those to HID too... i'd still be in around $450....

Last edited:
I used Hella housings and a Dan Stern wire harness kit. Best upgrade I've done (after my lift).

You probably will see no difference without the harness upgrade, regardless of what bulb/housing you use (except for HIDs).

If you use Go Jeep's write up to build your own harness, add about 2"-3" to each wire for the headlight on the passenger side. Mine came up a little short on my '98.

If you want better light output, you can't beat a harness upgrade. Spend the money and you won't be sorry.

Hey sbxj...really nice setup. My Cibies have a similar cutoff but not as good as the lights you chose. Did you happen to take any pics of the headlight install? What bulbs did you install?

I have the Hella e-codes in my Jeep and they're great. I have the IPF (round) ones in my Miata. Both are awesome. I used to have the Autopals on my Jeep, and they were about the same as the Hellas, believe it or not. But with jeepinoutfitters selling the IPFs for $75, no point in buying Autopal. http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=603

In the Miata I have Sylvania bulbs-- but not the brighter or blue tinted ones. Just plain bulbs. BUT the light looks whiter than standard 55W headlights. So I think they may be a little higher wattage than the package says.

On the Jeep I have Osram 65/70W bulbs with a cheap harness. The light is really white-- about the same as some xenons.

BTW none of these are legal because they meet European standards. A while back Congress looked into adopting the e-code standards, but public opinion polls convinced them not to. The polls asked people if they'd be willing to accept worse visibility to reduce glare to other drivers. See the problem with depending on public opinion polls?

Last edited:
Back