• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about KJ disk swap

My guess....... all of them.

AFAIK the 8.25 came in all of them. I figured they all had disks too.

IIRC,they came standard in the 2nd yr,they may have been an option prior to that.

IIRC,they came standard in the 2nd yr,they may have been an option prior to that.

x2, i think it is 2003 and up. I don't think the original year (2002) had it...

x2, i think it is 2003 and up. I don't think the original year (2002) had it...

Correct. 2003 and up. I've called all kinds of auto salvage yards, and no one wants to part out a complete axle in order to sell the caliper mounts. I guess when I get the funds to do my brake swap, I'll have to buy new ones for over $100 each. :tear:

why not do the ZJ disc brakes. A little grinding, and I mean a little, on the center hole and they bolt right up. I did this on my 8.25 and they worked great.
There are a lot more ZJ's in yards than KJ's

why not do the ZJ disc brakes. A little grinding, and I mean a little, on the center hole and they bolt right up. I did this on my 8.25 and they worked great.

There are no ZJ disc brakes at any salvage yard within 75 miles of me. Either the yard doesn't have anything as "old" as '94-'98, or the brakes are already gone. What few KJ's I've found have complete axles only for sale. I recently sold the ONLY set of ZJ brakes that I could find to help fund the purchase of two new Timken hubs, so my only choice is probably to buy new. ZJ components have been discontinued by the dealership, so KJ is my only choice. I already have a junkyard set of KJ calipers to use as cores.

Correct. 2003 and up. I've called all kinds of auto salvage yards, and no one wants to part out a complete axle in order to sell the caliper mounts. I guess when I get the funds to do my brake swap, I'll have to buy new ones for over $100 each. :tear:

I have run into the same problem with them onlu wanting to sell the whole axel.

I don't have the tools for grinding or the money to buy new ones

since we're talking KJ 8.25's, anybody know if axle width is the same as the XJ and do they have the 29 spline axle shafts? Don't mean to hijack your thread, just seems like there are some knowledgable posters here.

There are no ZJ disc brakes at any salvage yard within 75 miles of me.

Check the MWC for sale section. I believe there were some on there within the last week or two. JIM.

Check the MWC for sale section. I believe there were some on there within the last week or two. JIM.

I sold some ZJ brakes in that exact forum recently. Those are probably the ones you are thinking of. I needed the funds for my hubs, so I figured I'd just purchase new brakes at a later date. I just figure I'll go with KJ brakes because they are a direct, bolt-on swap, and I can get totally new hardware from the dealer as opposed to finding rusted ZJ components at a junk yard. My ZJ stuff was in a lot better shape than most I've seen for sale here. And it seems that the good used ZJ brakes you see here on Naxja go for $200-250, when I can get brand new, loaded KJ backing plates/mounts for $204.

AFAIK the 8.25 came in all of them. I figured they all had disks too.
Not all, as already covered, I walk into my local yard and see either bare axle tube ends or drum brakes, the disk brake setups disappear FAST.

Hit a you-pull-it if there is one, they usually have no idea what their stock is (because everyone is pulling things out of everywhere) but you pull the stuff so they don't really have much of a say in how much you get till it's too late.

Khary, if you need parts that are common up here and very expensive down there, roll up here some weekend, when the weather is good I usually hit the you-pull-it near me every Saturday and generally a couple times during the week before work as well. For price comparison, a whole axle costs 100 and a driveshaft is 20.

Back