• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clayton long arm and skid plates

RedHeep

NAXJA #1499
Looking for some info from guys that are running a clayton long arm. I talked to clayton about a skid plate and was told I'd have to fab something, that they had no designs or experience with anything beyond the crossmember that comes with the kit.

Does anyone have a clayton long arm and a tcase skid setup that I can peek at?

I've got a stock skid bolted up to it right now, but as evidenced at WF last weekend, it doesn't protect much. I don't know offhand if something like the DPG/JCR skid plate would mount to the clayton crossmember.

Bringing this back from the dead. I already have the JCR np231 skid.. anyone ever able to reuse this with their clayton long arms? I'm looking to upgrade in the spring.

the claytons skid looks pretty minimal to me. but with the JCR skid the arms may be in the way. id imagine itd require some cutting and grinding and welding.

and since the OP wasnt answered...
claytons belly pan is designed to work with their rear 4 link crossmember. "youll have to fab something" probably meant, "we designed it to work with our stuff. youll have to buy the rear crossmember or do the leg work to make it fit. its not rocket science but we arent going to do it for you."

Let's see. I've thought I had a couple of pics with an after market skid. Can't remember who's it is right now. I'll get some pictures tomorrow. Might help with answering your questions.

Last edited:
THIS is what you want to build. I had a local shop do this and I'm thrilled. Its awesome!!!!

IMG_2273.JPG

Mr Simon, that skid looks great. The new Clayton 3 link is an option for my new xj and if I go that route, I might have to copy your design. Are they only secured to the crossmember or are there any other tie in points that we cannot see?

I have always wondered when adding skids such as the one above or ones like the JCR/DPG skids, why dont they have the skids cover the cat? I know most of us have the large, coffee can style, stock cat but an aftermarket highflow "slim" cat would easily fit underneath the skid. I have destroyed my cat before and would love to protect it somehow. Maybe the skid would get too hot with the cat underneath?

That looks awesome MrSimon! But where do you put the jackstand to support the tranny/transfer case when you go to remove the cross member?

Back