• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just installed Aussie locker, have a few ?s

99-eekorehc

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, well like the tittle says, I just finished installing an aussie locker in my chrysler 8.25" and was wondering if I should be able to make the locker "slip" or "ratchet" by turning the yoke and holding one wheel in place?(simulating a turn). I just wanna make sure its working properly before I drive it.
What type of gear oil should I use?

Thanks In Advance!

The instructions say to lock the pinion and just test the tires but what you propose should serve as a test as well. Run your regular gear oil, I switched to syntetic when I installed the aussie just for the hell of it.

So long as it spec't out when you measured the gap with your feeler guage and you have no left over parts, there really isn't much you could do to screw up the install. You will know it doing its job as soon as you go for a spin.
If you still have snow go find your self a nice parking lot and give her the old donut test.

The instructions say to lock the pinion and just test the tires but what you propose should serve as a test as well. Run your regular gear oil, I switched to syntetic when I installed the aussie just for the hell of it.

So long as it spec't out when you measured the gap with your feeler guage and you have no left over parts, there really isn't much you could do to screw up the install. You will know it doing its job as soon as you go for a spin.
If you still have snow go find your self a nice parking lot and give her the old donut test.

Cool lol thanks, And no leftover parts lol

i am installing mine this weekend, any pointers or tips on the install?

Its pretty straight foward. I'll admit it, one thing I did was installed the cam gears in the wrong side and sat there for 30 min. wondering why the right C-clip would not go on LMAO. Turns out that big notch in one of the cam gears is to allow the C-clip to slide though to the axle lol.

So call me stupid but at least I admited it.:jester:

HAHA so i just read your pointer dont worrie i had the same issue, man do i wish never to break a shaft with that locker in haha will be a pain int he ass to fix on the trail..... very simple gear and locker install cant wait to test it out.

To test the aussie, chock the wheels, lift one side of the axle and turn the wheel, it should turn with some effort in both directions. Repeat on the other side. If you turn the yoke you are locking up the locker and it will not turn without turning the wheels.

What if it some times does that and some times disengages when doing it? Like when i am rotating the drivers side some times it will turn the pass side and some times it will just "ratchet" and not turn the pass. side but when i took it for a spin i felt that i had it working and under me.

What if it some times does that and some times disengages when doing it? Like when i am rotating the drivers side some times it will turn the pass side and some times it will just "ratchet" and not turn the pass. side but when i took it for a spin i felt that i had it working and under me.
That sounds normal. The wheels should ratchet when turned against each other but the pinion should not be able to turn (more than about 1/8 turn to engage the locker) without turning the wheels.

Back