• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reclining seat

bafuller83

NAXJA Forum User
My seat is reclined too far back, I feel like a gangsta. It was like that when I got it a couple years ago. I have just delt with it.

Of course I have pulled the lever to recline it forwards but it only will go back more (even more gangsta). What can I do besides getting new Sparco seats or something.

I know it is dumb but don't give me hell.

Last edited:
Get a replacement seat from the junkyard, or use some washers at the rear seat bolts to shim up the seat frame.

Do you have the "rocker" seat pedestals?

Look under your seat and see.

Maybe your bracket's broken. Does the pass side recline the same way?

Yeah. They are described in my 90's owner's manual, and when I found a pair of replacement front seats they came with the rocker pedestals and I like them.

Time to revive this thread!

I am having same problem. How do i find out or what am I lookin for for this "rocker pedestal" style

Otherwise is there a fix for the "gangsta lean"

91 2dr Laredo 4x4

Your best bet for finding the rocker seats is to check them in a junkyard vehicle. They have an extra lever, and you can see the two-part base. The ones in my 87 were the best seats I've ever had in anything.

There is, however, a common problem with these - they tend to break apart internally, especially the 2-door ones. Part of the framework is a sheet metal pan, and the sheet metal can crack. They're pretty easy to get the skin and foam off of, except for the top where the headrests go, so if you have one that's broken, you can open it up, weld it or have it welded, and it will be good again.

I'd take the skin and cushion off the seat (you can just draw the backrest skin up out of the way without taking it off at the top), and see what's broken in there. The frame is easy to mig weld, and there's room to add some reinforcements too. Just take note of how the rods and hooks on the bottom go together, so you won't have too much guesswork retensioning the upholstery when you put it back.

Well, the metal is fatigued, so there is not a good fix unless you tear into it and weld in a gusset plate of some sort. A short term fix is to literally push/pull/tug on the top of the seat back until it straightens up. Yes, that's a lousy solution, and it won't last, but it's free and easy. You may get lucky at a junk yard, but don't hold your breath.

the back frame does not look bent. I will take the cover and foam off this weekend and check it out. If it needs to be I can weld it up that not a problem.

its almost like its missing the very last notch to go up straight.

Holy shit is that what the paddle lever in the middle is for? I've been wondering what those do since I got my 87 last year. I'm going outside now to check it out. I always though the 80s seats had the best cusion and angle rocked back.

Back