• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME suspension-anybody have it?

greggNJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,
Yes, I have searched so don't flame me too bad if this is in here somewhere.
Does anybody have/had an Old Man Emu suspension on your XJ? I have a stock 2000 sport currently running 30" BFG's. They will need to be replaced soon and I'd like to get some 31's. This is a DD and will not see any hardcore wheeling-just trail riding/beach driving. It does haul quite a bit of weight sometimes. I was thinking of getting the OME medium duty system.
Please tell me your opinions on this system or recomendations for another 2" system which would be better. I definitely want all new springs since the rear sags a little (123,000mi)
Thanks.
Gregg

I HAD the 2" medium duty on mine. It was a great ride. But, if you plan on hauling stuff ie a bunch of camping gear, go with the HD setup.

I've got the OME HD rears (DAKAR version) with TeraFlex 1.5 shackles in the rear and MD fronts with JKS ACOS and Nitrochargers at both ends. About 4" total lift.

I also have the Currie HD adj tracbar, adj LCA's, Frame stiffeners.

Geared 4.10 with TruTrac in the rear and a Aussie will go in the front soon.

The ride and handling is better than stock.

I'm on 30" now but I will go to 31" or 32" soon.
96xjsg2.jpg

My 93 ThumperXJ has the HDakar set up, with REshackles and spacers for an even four inches, on Cooper 31x10.50 STTs. I tow alot (Mostly Horsetrailer n 2 Horses) And I romp offroad alot. Rides excellent everywhere, and no sag to date almost three years later. I even have the OME steering shock on.:laugh3:

I've got the OME 3" HD in my 2000 Limited. Full hardware specs for it can be found here; scroll down to the second XJ from top (burgundy 2000).

The suspension setup's been great. I went with an extra leaf in the rear and ZJ V8 coils (I tow and carry stuff) and have been extremely happy with it, though my recommendation would be to also do an adjustable trackbar and extended brakelines at the same time. At some point I'm planning on adding in adjustable coil spacers in the front and a 1" or so longer shackle in the rear to level it out a bit and get just a tiny bit of extra clearance in the fenders. Still planning on sticking with 31" tyres at that point.

My recommendation would be to go with the HD setup - you won't notice a huge difference in ride quality between it and the medium-duty suspension, but it should last usefully longer. Initially I was at around 4" of lift; seven months later, it's a solid 3.5" all around. Flex hasn't been an issue, but it did take a while for it to break in. In a way I find that reassuring: if it had gone from 4" to 3.5" in a couple of weeks I would've been concerned.

One thing worth mentioning: your tyres will have a huge effect on ride quality. I'm on take-off Goodyear MT/Rs from a TJ Rubicon: for the few days after I did the lift that the Michelin LTX A/Ts that came with it were still on there, the ride was fantastic. The Goodyears, though, had a MUCH higher load rating, which made the ride considerably stiffer. Not that I really care (after all, I don't expect my Jeep to ride like a Rolls-Royce), but it is something to bear in mind.

Overall, though, I love it. Really happy with the way it's turned out.

Last edited:
I have the OEM and have posted several times on the subject, you can seaarch under my posts. Please call Dirk at DPG for suggestions and prices.

I just finished an OME MD lift. I am in the final stages of centering the front axle and getting an alignment. I dont have results yet. I completed the lift with simple hand tools. I plan on posting a write-up with pics in the near future.

greggNJ,

I have the OME HD in the front and the Med in the rear. I wanted the same tires (BFG 31X10.50) and they would NOT fit. Be prepared to trim or add spacers or something.

myles

I've had their MD set-up on my 01 for a week. I bought it used and was told that it was a 2" but I got at least 2.5 out of it. I combined it was a 2" spacer and shackle for somewhere around 4" overall. I am running 31x10.5 MTRs and really like it. I have factory drivetrain in and no transfer drop and have some slight vibes between 30-40 MPH and smooth on the highway, other then the tires but I had them on with just the BB so I knew how they rode. I am getting some nice flex out if it and the ride is much more stable and it seems that the Jeep tracks nicer than factory.

I was going to get the RE 3.5 superide but I am glad that I saved the $$ and went this way, much nicer and smoother than my buddies Jeep with the RE.

dynorockcg said:
there are a few more posts if you search 'oldmanemu' as one word.

I hadn't thought of that-thanks.
and I'll keep an eye out for your write up.

Thanks to everyone for the great replies.
I'll have to decide soon what I want to do. I have an extra vehicle now since my wife got a new car and we haven't sold the old one yet. Perfect time to do the ball joints & rear main seal without having to worry about how
I'll get to work. I'd like to do the suspension as well before I sell the car.

Thank Again-
Gregg

xjtrailrider said:
I've got the OME HD rears (DAKAR version) with TeraFlex 1.5 shackles in the rear and MD fronts with JKS ACOS and Nitrochargers at both ends. About 4" total lift.

I also have the Currie HD adj tracbar, adj LCA's, Frame stiffeners.

Geared 4.10 with TruTrac in the rear and a Aussie will go in the front soon.

The ride and handling is better than stock.

I'm on 30" now but I will go to 31" or 32" soon.
96xjsg2.jpg

Very nice looking ride--almost exactly how I want to go with mine--DPG Offroad's OME hybrid ~3" lift with 31s and 4.10 gears. How do you like the 4.10s? Everyone seems to have a different opinion 4.10 vs. 4.56. What are your RPMs at 65 in Third and Drive? Thanks!

I have a '99, I run 235/85/16 which are 31.7 pizza cutters. I got rubbing with the OME 2" on the front bumper end caps and the rear of the rear wheel flare. I got a 1.5" shackle and a 1" coil spacer and that solved the prob. It's a good cheap way to get another 1"-1.5" out of the lift with out changing ride quality. I also have the ZJ V8 coils in the front so you may want a slightly larger spacer in the front if you go that route.

2000xj4x4 said:
anyone know who has the best prices on OME lifts?

Dirk at DPG Offroad is your best bet. Good prices and extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I highly recommend him to anyone looking to go the OME route.

2ng Dirk @ DPG. I was missing 2 leaf spring pads that were lost during shipping and he called OME and they are in the mail. He has given me several answers to questions I have had re: centering the front axle.

2000xj4x4 said:
soooooooo expensive for 2"s

OME's stuff in general isn't cheap by comparison to others. You may want to consider an RE or other kit if price is the ultimate consideration.

I put on my HD lift a little over a month ago to do a Jeep Jamboree and I love it. It rides better than stock on the highway and flexes quite well. I have BFG MT/Rs 31X10.50s and have some rub in the back and they rub the LCA at full lock, which is not that big of a deal.

index.cfm

Back