• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ rear hatch on a 96-???

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
Will a 97+ rear hatch bolt onto a 89 xj?

nope it will not. one is metal, one is fiberglass too. and different hinges and design as stated above.

Are you going to remove your hatch and put it on a different jeep nick? lol.

Are you going to remove your hatch and put it on a different jeep nick? lol.
No I'm putting a rear hatch from a rolled 98 I just bought onto the 89. Hinges are fine, ill make it work. I mainly just wanted to know if it will be flush. And yes, I know I would need to swap the tail lights too lol

No I'm putting a rear hatch from a rolled 98 I just bought onto the 89. Hinges are fine, ill make it work. I mainly just wanted to know if it will be flush. And yes, I know I would need to swap the tail lights too lol

get the last couple of feet from the body too and you'll be golden
Sounds about right..
Look at the body nick, the body is more boxy and and has angled edges, vs the ROUND edges that the newer style has. And I do not think there will be support in the rear roof area for the different hinges.
Header/fenders.. fit almost perfect. Doors, same.
Rear hatch.. IMPROBABLE.

Ive got a hatch off a 95 you can have,of course you would have to come pick it up!

Nope.

Body lines are different. It might "fit" but it won't fit right. ehall's suggestion of getting the last few feet of the body as well is pretty much spot on.

alrighty thanks for everyones help. I guess i'll leave it be haha. My buddy chris and i bought a 98 for the LA kit and drive train but also all of the exterior pieces to basically turn his into a 97+ but it looks like the hatch will be the dead giveaway ha

Back