• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better offroad ride choice?

xjdc12

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and nada, or I'm not doing it correctly.
I installed a Zone 3” lift, (add a leaf in rear, new coils front and shocks all around) last summer. Now riding around the desert and less then happy with the “jouncy” ride. Thinking of going to OME shocks and or changing our the rear springs for OME set.
Interested in comments and or experienced results. Worth it or just go find a stretched WJ Rubi? Thanks--

Not sure what jouncy is, but I'd think better shocks help with that. How much weight is in the rig when you are wheeling? You alone, or with the entire family? That AAL can't be good for towing or hauling fat peeps.

Fat peeps? Hhaahahhahha.

I'm running OME all the way around as of a month ago...3 years ago I installed a 4WD Hardware brand budget boost that consisted of all new shocks, front coils and AAL's for the back.

The difference is night and day. I highly recommend OME. Took the "jounce" right out of my XJ, and it's a lot less violent on bumps.

If you're doing pre-running in the desert, there's a forum here for that. I'm not sure a simple suspension job will get you the results you want if you're flying off dunes...

Fat peeps? Hawed ja know? I didn't post a pic.

Jouncy, in this case is the start of an unexpected snap-roll in an airplane, or to put it another way- the wife's head slams against the door pillar as rear wheel hits a 5 “rock in the trail at 8mph. Load is the two of us, not lighweights, and some tools/spares in the back, sometimes another couple in the spacious rear seating area. Not worried about towing. Looking for decent off-road/trail ride and hitting hwy or I-10 for a few miles once in a while. Jeep is a toad from AZ to OR/back.

OMe's are only 110$/pack on q-tec

OME 934 coils, OME shocks, 2" OME leafs and HD offroad shackle relocation brackets. That oughta make it ride nice. BTW what is a WJ Rubi? The didn't make Rubicon Grand Cherokee's!

I have the OME Nitro Charger shocks and am changing them for the Bilstein 5100. A buddy has the same lift and springs with the 5100 and it rides much better, unless a stiff ride is better.

Fat peeps? Hawed ja know? I didn't post a pic.

Jouncy, in this case is the start of an unexpected snap-roll in an airplane, or to put it another way- the wife's head slams against the door pillar as rear wheel hits a 5 “rock in the trail at 8mph. Load is the two of us, not lighweights, and some tools/spares in the back, sometimes another couple in the spacious rear seating area. Not worried about towing. Looking for decent off-road/trail ride and hitting hwy or I-10 for a few miles once in a while. Jeep is a toad from AZ to OR/back.

Try driving faster or slower and see if that helps. What tire pressure do you run? Less may ride better. Disconnect the sway bars too.

WJ Rubi, is an old f—t's typo/tippo for a wrangler rubicon unlimited 2 door, like 2005/2006. Sorry, confused. (I put WJ lower CAs on our 99XJ).

Thanks to all for the ideas. Should have done me some more research before choosing the “cheaper” route of the less expensive lift stuff first. It will likely be for sale next summer when it comes off, still shiny and mostly painted when we change to OME, or something like it. Or maybe a 2 dr late Rubicon??. Though the good ol XJ is narrower, four doors in a reasonable wheelbase, etc., and the “AC blows cold”, though it's not for sale by a long shot!!! Just can't get get my head around the 4 dr. Rubicons for the narrow trails we have around this area of AZ and the tooooo long wheel base.

And to srimes; your correct that too much tire pressure doesn't help-me guilty., , but the varying speed thing doesn't work too great when the rocks are randomly placed by ma nature. I know and have used the faster is better technique in patrol cars in the past, but it's a harder sell when the “Sgt.” Is seated next to you or your in a group ride.

Blistien 5100s, hmmm.

Thanks again for a great site and the comments/help.

Back