• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj and yj dana 35

mikie2084

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wandering if the are the same? My friend snapped an axle and its her only vehicle, so im trying to find anything for her rite now to get her to work. I know her 4cly has 4.10 gears but did the xj have the same and what years? The housing and internals are shot from when the tire came out.

I believe the spring perches will be in different locations, not sure about shock mounts.

XJ is spring over and YJ is spring under (iirc), so there's one potential problem... perch to perch spacing is likely different as well. Good luck...

if I was her, I'd be looking for an 8.8 with 4.10s in it already (more common than XJs with 4.10s), swapping it in should be the same as doing one in an XJ (well, closer to doing one in an MJ I guess since it's SUA), it's definitely not bolt in though.

If you do go for one though, 4.10:1 is most common in 4 cylinder manual XJs. Try to shoot for an 8.25 instead of a d35 if you're getting an XJ axle and will have to customize anyways, since the 8.25 is a much stronger axle.

Are you sure you can't swap parts only and leave the housing? Sounds to me like shaft and maybe a spider gear are hosed, did she break the gear teeth or the carrier/bearings as well or something?

All the brake parts are gone, the locker is busted, she doesnt have the spider gears to it, the gears look ok but im not too sure.

Yikes, that sucks :( Think you could lincoln lock the locker? I *think* that sounds repairable, as long as the flange for mounting the brake backing plate is intact, I'm sure you can get everything you need except the axleshaft (might be the wrong length) from a ZJ with a d35 at the scrapyard. Also try posting in the SEC Classifieds section to see if anyone has a junk d35 they will part with to scavenge spiders and brake hardware from, at least you can make it roll again and if the gears aren't completely locked up she can probably drive it with care while finding parts to put a better axle in.

Back