• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grade 8 as a center pin bolt replacement?

jeepintexas

NAXJA Forum User
like the title says, can i use grade 8 hardware as a replacement for a center bolt? i've looked everywhere in this small town and i can't find what i need. this is kind of the last resort. i know the hex head will not fit into the circle that is there, can i grind off the corners on the hex head?

You could torque down a hex head and then grind the corners off (and it'd be a pain to get off later if need be) but I used an allen head, slips right in there. Grade 8 is fine.

I used some grade 8 bolts in a pinch. Just lightly grind the corners until it fits tightly. Vise grips removed it later when I found the proper bolts.

yes you can, I have done it before, its just that the heads of those type of bolts arent as tall as the allen type screws that are typically used & there would be a greater possibility that it could come unseated.

If it comes unseated, I suspect you have worse things to think about, like why are my u-bolts that loose, or just why didn't I get the bolt head set down in the spring perch?

It's also worth mentioning that the less slop there is between the bolt head and the spring perch hole, the better. Even if your u-bolts aren't quite tight enough, the axle won't chuck back and forth.

thanks guys, i appreciate the help.

btw, can anyone tell me why my dana 35 doesn't have the spot for the center pin bolt head to sit in on the spring perch? my dana 44 has it, but not my 35.

All my spring center-pin bolts are currently just grade 8's that I rounded the head off of. I just chucked the bolt in the drill and took the 4.5" grinder to it until it was exactly the right size to fit in the spring perch with no slop. Haven't had any problems with them.

Back