• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

altinator

mobbthatjeep

NAXJA Forum User
well i went wheelin today with some buddies and got my jeep all muddy and it seemed to run fine until after i shut it off and let it sit for about an hour and then went to drive it and it hesatated starting and after driving back home it almost died on me and i saw it didnt have any volts from the batter and after shuting it off it doesnt start anymore
im pretty sure its just the altinator because its done this before
and it stoped working from mud drying inside or somthing but is there any thing i can buy or do to either move my altinator higher so it doesnt get mud inside it or is there any waterproofish ones i can buy
somone help me out
thanks

I'll assume that the splash shield that came on your Jeep from the factory is gone or hanging down, since most are

replacing that, rigging up something in its place, or putting on a front skid plate will help your situation if not fix it I belive

but if those items are in place then i'm not sure

Last edited:
well thats the weird thing is i have the splash shield and skid plate on
last time it went out i didnt have either on but this time i did and it some how much have gotten up threw it or somthing but luckily i have a autolite altinator and kragen has a life time warrenty so i just need to search and hunt around my house for the reciet for it but i am supprised i havent heard of anyone having problems with it because its one of the lowest things under the hood

if you fill your alternator up with mud, use high pressure water to clean it out, preferrably while the jeep is running and when the mud is fresh. this may not be good for the alternator, but it will get you charging again. its better to have a wet, clean alternator then a wet dirty one. if you get it muddy too many times you will kill the bearing ask me how i know.

-Tim

wait whats an "altinator"? a tool used to measure altitude? or is it schwarzenegger in the sky?! haha JK i had to be a smart ass..
yeah i agree with jeepnuts311 try cleaning it out with a pressure washer or just a hose with high power should get you back to normal.
-Allen

This sounds just like the problem i thought i was having. I went out wheeling in some mud holes, and was running fine until i shut it off, and it didnt want to start. After testing, i found the alternator was done, so i replaced it. Once everything was bolted back on, it started right up and drove around town just fine. HOWEVER, as soon as i took it off road it gave out again, and i didnt go through a single mud hole?!?!?! So now it sits again until I can figure out whats wrong with it. If anyone has any ideas on where to start looking, PLEASE let me know.

P.S. Sorry for the hi-jack, but this seemed like an appropriate forum for my problem as well.

Get a new one with a lifetime warranty. I got mine at Autozone and have replaced it twice already. Water doesn't hurt it so much, it's the dirt and grit that get in and ruin the brushes and all. When mine dies I take it out and clean it up with a brush to get it to the point where it doesn't look like I dragged it through the mud. I,ve never had a problem with getting it replaced yet....:D

well along with blue88xj mines goin to be sitting for a while too i took my lifetime warrenty altinator into kragen and they tested it twice and it passes so now i have to bolt it back up and figure out whats wrong if anyone knows of anything else that could either go out or cause it to lose voltage let me know
thanks
Tim

mobbthatjeep said:
well along with blue88xj mines goin to be sitting for a while too i took my lifetime warrenty altinator into kragen and they tested it twice and it passes so now i have to bolt it back up and figure out whats wrong if anyone knows of anything else that could either go out or cause it to lose voltage let me know
thanks
Tim

battery cables/terminals are my second vote

-Tim

ha everytime i got my 89 muddy at all i was replacing alternators
it is a problem and cheap alts dont help the situation cleaning it out doesnt help i even tried contact cleanr (the only thing you shousl ever spray into you r alt on purpose)
you get real good at changin alts real fast at that rate good luck i never fixed that prob just kinda stayed away from boggin

yeah the weird thing is tho is it ran fine on the way home from wheeling and then after i went to start it up it hesatated and then from there it slowly lost voltage so thats what made me think it could only be the altinator and i dont think the terminals would make it do somthing like that and when i turn it over the radio comes on still it just doesnt have enough volts to turn over

The only thing, is that i have a new battery, and new terminals. Also, i bought the stronger alternator for mine as well. I am having the same problem as "mobbthatjeep". PLUS the most recent time I went wheeling, i didn't even go through any mud holes or anything crazy, it was just a simple back road.

blue88xj said:
The only thing, is that i have a new battery, and new terminals. Also, i bought the stronger alternator for mine as well. I am having the same problem as "mobbthatjeep".

a "stronger" alternator does not mean it will withstand mud and abuse. it also does not mean it will put out more amperage all the time. a high output alternator needs probly close to 2000rpm to put out max amps, but that is another thread altogether

everytime i mudded my alternator i could drive for a while and then it got sluggish, this is because you are running off battery since the alt is not charging. plus, once the mud dried it wont conduct at all..you can actually drive for a good 10 mins or so on battery power alone at night, and a little further during the day...

-Tim

Back