• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Popping" doors fix

sjx40250

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know about you guys but the door straps often wear out on the older xj's. I have replaced a number of them and now have a few spare parts just in case.

I was working on my daughters 90 this week end, getting it ready for when she goes to college next year. One of the issues was the "popping" noise when the door was opened or closed. My first inclination was lube the strap and the mechanism in the door. This is not where the problem is.
There is a pin that holds the strap to the door frame bracket. If there is a slightest bit of loosness of the pin in any of the three holes, it will "pop" as the strap cams go over the spring mechanism in the door. Kind of like taking up slack in a rope.
If the pin is the original roll pin, or even a replacement, remove it. Open the length wise slit by using a flat screw driver or what ever. this will increase the diameter of the pin.
Since the end is tapered, insertion is fairly easy with a light hammer. Only takes a few min. and the result is very effective. While your at it, lube the hinges and get rid of the squeek.

Yup! Happened to me long ago. Often the bracket on the frame will wallow out, which makes the problem worse. Replacing it is a five minute job and you can get them for free at the junkyard or for a few bucks on teamcherokee.com.

Yeah, the other way to fix it is to just remove the straps all together though for a college kids DD the straps wouldn't be a bad thing :) My kid brother's Envoy does this... he never complains about it so I haven't had to fix it yet. He leaves for college in the fall year so I am only guessing in a couple months time I will be giving his vehicle the check before he leaves.

Though he did just run into a tree or something on the way to school the other day so I got called in to fix that... at this time I am kindof wishing he just complained about his popping hinges. :rof:

My driver side pin fell out and got lost forever ago, I keep saying next time I'm at the dealer I'm buying a new pin. Just never remember, I miss having the door check though all the time when my door swings open/close as it wants to.

Junkyard one, I have a couple spares on hand in case that happens. I guarantee they will look at you funny if you even try to pay for it.

My pin kept working it's way up and I kept pushing it down. Finally lost one. Spent $7 at the stealership for one. Same scenario repeated itself. Wife used it for a while and of course was not diligent in pin re-seating duty. Now it has a shoulder bolt and nut loctited in place. No more pin diligence required.

I put a 1\4 bolt in mine it still pops very annoying

I put a 1\4 bolt in mine it still pops very annoying

Saw that my buddy's dad did this on one of the 3 98's that they have this weekend. Worked really well for him! I don't recall what size bolt he used...had a lock nut holding it in place though.

Yeah, the other way to fix it is to just remove the straps all together though for a college kids DD the straps wouldn't be a bad thing :) My kid brother's Envoy does this... he never complains about it so I haven't had to fix it yet. He leaves for college in the fall year so I am only guessing in a couple months time I will be giving his vehicle the check before he leaves.

Though he did just run into a tree or something on the way to school the other day so I got called in to fix that... at this time I am kindof wishing he just complained about his popping hinges. :rof:
If you remove the straps on doors with the older style hinges (the solid ones, rather than the later stamped ones), you run a real risk of tearing the hinges out of the body. The hinges have a stop in them, but when the door hits it it levers the hinge outward at the back edge, which is (for reasons unknown) not welded. If you have a 2 door XJ, settle for the popping!

hahahaha lost both pins in my 89 (it's a 4-door). so the hinges on both front doors are slowly "tearing" the weld apart. gonna have to find a welder come good weather time so i can take the doors off & BFH them back into place & rewweld them.
also picked up a boxfull of roll pins to replace them, did it once , eventualy came out & lost it. haven't bothered replacing it again til i fix the hinges. (also i believe that's the reason the drivers door doesn't shut correctly. have to slam it 3 to 4 times for it to shut/latch).

If you remove the straps on doors with the older style hinges (the solid ones, rather than the later stamped ones), you run a real risk of tearing the hinges out of the body. The hinges have a stop in them, but when the door hits it it levers the hinge outward at the back edge, which is (for reasons unknown) not welded. If you have a 2 door XJ, settle for the popping!
I do have a 2 door and haven't had my straps since I bought the XJ in ~'05. My drivers side door is sloppy but that's not due to the hinges pulling away... The P.O. ignored a broken hingepin and that caused the hinges to wear down. :doh:

Back