• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Driveshaft

Yes... common knowledge, it's about an inch or so iirc. Hopefully SanDiegoOverland will chime in since I'm pretty sure he just checked this within the last week or two.

You must have had the 2" longer driveshaft. My AW4/8.25 shaft was 30", the next one I found was from a AW4/35 and was 32", then the other I found might have been out of a 5-spd car or something cause it was 31" long= worked for me, and probably the one you needed.

You must have had the 2" longer driveshaft. My AW4/8.25 shaft was 30", the next one I found was from a AW4/35 and was 32", then the other I found might have been out of a 5-spd car or something cause it was 31" long= worked for me, and probably the one you needed.

Is this directed at me? I know I have the longer shaft, my jeep came as aw4/d35. For me, the longer (stock) shaft did not work with a lift and an 8.25.

Ben

Can anyone verify that a AW4/D-35 rear driveshaft is longer than a AW4/Chr8.25 rear drivshaft? Part numbers are different online.

yup, they're about 5/8" -1" different in length, with the d35 shaft being the longer one. The pinion casting/yoke pokes out a bit further on the 8.25 axle necessitating a shorter shaft.

so if you put a d35 shaft on an aw4/8.25 setup with lifting it, it would bottom out at the tcase.

if you put a 8.25 shaft on a aw4/d35 setup it would likely fall out if you unloaded the suspension on an obstacle or over a speed bump or something.

good luck finding your part!

Is this directed at me? I know I have the longer shaft, my jeep came as aw4/d35. For me, the longer (stock) shaft did not work with a lift and an 8.25.

Ben

thats interesting ben, i wonder if you had a 5speed shaft installed on your rig at some point.

I've heard many instances of people lifting their aw4/d35 a couple inches and then adding a 8.25 at the same time, with no issues running the stock d35 shaft.

maybe it has to be like 5-6" of lift or something...didn't find that part out since if I go to more than 4.5" of lift, I'm going to run the hack/n/tap - front shaft in the rear setup

Back