• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Start

Coach73

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone, I bought a '91, 4DR, Sport, 4.0 w/5spd for $150. It has 321k miles on it. It was parked about 4 years ago because it was starting to nickel and dime the owners (who are aquaintances of mine). I had to put new used tires on, helicoil the oil pan plug, replace the valve cover gasket and am now trying to start it. The starter is turning but didn't sound like the pinion gear is extending so I bought a reman and installed it, same issue. I tested the old starter with jumper cables and everything works just like it's supposed too. I jumped the hot to the start on the new starter while installed and I hear the bendix extending and of course the starter just whirs away. I inspected the flywheel and it looks good. I also turned the engine over with my breaker bar to give it different teeth but it didn't help. The only thing I can think of is to shim the starter but why would it need shimmed if it worked 4 years ago and it hasn't been touched since??? Any other ideas???? TIA. Coach

First, did you pull all the spark plugs and put some MMO in the cylinders before trying to turn the engine over, with the plugs still out?

What is the condition of the battery you are using? What is the condition of the cables--clean both ends and test with an ohm meter, their resistance should be near ZERO.

Hey Joe, Thanks for the response. The battery is new, and yes I put oil down the cylinders before I tried to do anything. I did shim the starter and now it cranks over but now I'm not getting any fuel. So now I'm going to work on that. Coach

I did shim the starter and now it cranks over but now I'm not getting any fuel. So now I'm going to work on that. Coach

It's cranking. That is a good start!

Gotta verify spark at the spark plugs and fuel is being delivered to the injectors.

Do you hear the fuel pump come on and run for about 2 seconds when you turn the key to the ON position? That is the first test.

If fuel pump runs, do you have good pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail? Best to check the actual pressure with a fuel pressure gauge.

If you have verified a strong, blue spark.....you could try spraying a bit of starting fluid into the intake. If it starts and runs momentarily doing this, you have confirmed that you have a FUEL DELIVERY problem.

Good luck and keep us posted....

in addition to everything said, try disconnecting the cps wiring harness and reconnecting. could have corrision from sitting so long.

Back