• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NW Rainfest '06, Whos underwater?

Blkxjkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
In a feeble attempt to raise my positive karma, and possibly save my home from the river. I am strapping on my rubber boots and rain gear and heading to town to aid in the volunteer effort to sandbag the Downtown Mt Vernon business district. Just wondering how everyone else is doing? Who's wet, Who's dry, who wants to come to my house and move couches, entertainment centers, and appliances.:) (j/k We're fine for now)

I got a phone call 20 mins ago for a mandatory evacuation due to the rise of the Puyallup River. Seahawks are on, I'm not going anywhere till MNF is over. Good luck on the sandbagging.

The passenger footwell of the heep is underwater.. :mad:

Not really a big deal though. I hope nobody floats away tonight.

-i

Took me 30mins to travel 2mi straight down the road from work to home tonight. Creek across the street flooded my neighborhood (literally) and brought the water level within 15ft of my door. Those who have been to my place know how close that is. Police had my neighborhood blocked off and were only letting residents through. I pulled up and didn't get the speech that others were getting about 'if you get stuck you're on your own and we're writing you a ticket'. :party:

Water level has gone down as of right now and we have a parking lot again. :D

Dry here. Jeeps not in good shape. Drying out.

We have a creek about a block away. The houses closest to that creek got a little scare last year as the water approached their houses, but so far the water has continued to move the field that buffers that creek hasn't gotten too bad.

Jeep got a little wet. Got broken into. Has been sitting in the mechanics parking lot. They tryed and failed to rip the back lock out. Busted out a wing window and got in. Dumb arses busted out the ignition, not being smart enough to know that the Jeep is sitting in front of a mechanical shop. Hmm... Maybe it's not running? Still,they got about $1500 in stereo equipment, don't yet know how much the damage is gonna cost me, and the Jeep sat for who knows how long without the window. Sorry to vent here. Just came out after remaining calm all day. Don't know how much water got into the jeep or the door electronics.

Later
Jason

I would think the shop should be responsible for the damage/theft to your junk. It is on their property, and being in thier posession for repairs, I would deem them responsible for your mishap. Was it just parked on the street or something? Shit, that sucks....

Most shops are into that "we are not resposible..."

Still working with the mechanic on details. Tomorrow I have to meet the police man to get prints off of the Jeep. In my opinion, I am screwed out of my stuff, so I don't get my hopes up, but the mechanic wanted to have some prints looked at.

Was parked in a Parking Lot. Once the ignition is repaired, I am nervous to see if there is any electrical water damage. Not worried about any puddles or physical water damage. Dries out.

Watching TV about how bad the flooding is in other areas. WOW. Wish I could drive the Jeep, it does all of my ruff weather driving. Love puddles.

Jason

WOOHOO !!!! USGS has revised their estimate for the flood crest in my area dropping it 4 feet from the original estimate. Meaning I should not have to evacuate. We'll see though.

Jason, that sucks. I know the dealership, and most other shops I have worked at have disclaimers right on the repair order, or large signs at the service desk Absolving responsibility in the case of Theft, vandalism, etc while in their possesion. On the plus side I have seen Managers and owners ignore that and step up to the plate and pay for the damages and stolen goods before too.
Good luck
Ryan

Blkxjkrawler said:
On the plus side I have seen Managers and owners ignore that and step up to the plate and pay for the damages and stolen goods before too.
Good luck
Ryan

Yup, have seen that also...more often than not. I know we won't keep someone's rig if we don't have room inside for it, dry and alarmed.

Jason, did this happen down in your neck of the woods?

I rescued a Toyota Tundra that was half-way underwater in Renton yesterday. Water was over my tires, and the water line went over my winch. Deep.

On a much less fun note, I got home and discovered my basement had an inch of standing water. Luckily, it seems to be receeding and it was in the half without any electronics. Dodged a bullet, so far.

Ryan; if it turns out you need help, I'll personally lead the NAXJA Rescue convoy up to help evacuate. It'll be like that scene from "Dante's Peak"...except without a Volcano. Or Linda Hamilton.

Paul; you're on your own. Call Josh. :D

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
On a much less fun note, I got home and discovered my basement had an inch of standing water. Luckily, it seems to be receeding and it was in the half without any electronics. Dodged a bullet so far.

-----Matt-----

A basement.You must live in north tacoma.

Sean

90exjay said:
A basement.You must live in north tacoma.

Sean
Very good! First leak in 2 years. :(

1162674736.jpg

-----Matt-----

here in portland it's letting up a bit, past few days been like monsoons around here, 10 minutes sprinkle, then torrential downpours.... had fun on the freeway sunday night, hit 2 feet standing water in the fast lane on i-84, slammed the meridian at 50 mph and almost rolled her, then spun 180 and smashed the same meridian again before bouncing off and coming to a stop in the middle lane facing oncoming traffic, just in time to watch a taxi do the same thing, except without 31's and 4.5 lift, he wasn't as lucky as me.

started up on the first try, flipped a u-ey and busted out to the right lane to pull over and examine my "wrecked xj".... no damage to the rear end???? didn't even dent the front bumper, just pushed it down about 3 inches, due to the still factory mounting on the custom front end, tweaked the frame rail ends in the front, just barely on the left side, about 1 crumple on the right, just before the sway bar mounts.

jumped back in and drove the rest of the way home asap, doesn't seem to be bent, didn't pull to either side, no leaks, no tweaks, everything still lines up, no damage to anything in the engine compartment, no cracks, no dents, no scratches minus 1 on the front bumper, which is crazy, because its on the front 45 degree angle of the bumper, which means that i had to be up in the air on the rear end to even hit that part, and the bumper was pushed down??? wtf, i should have died and totally wrecked the xj, but miraculously i survived without a scratch, and didn't break a thing..... I hit so hard i thought that the windows were going to pop out, thank god i don't have airbags being that its a 94'......

yeah, you could say its been a little wet around here, i laugh because this is normal, just hasn't been normal for the last 3-4 years, all the out of towners in portland can't stop complaining about it.... good, maybe they'll go home.... i digress. pics to follow.....

acrid said:
had fun on the freeway sunday night, hit 2 feet standing water in the fast lane on i-84, slammed the meridian at 50 mph and almost rolled her, then spun 180 and smashed the same meridian again before bouncing off and coming to a stop in the middle lane facing oncoming traffic, just in time to watch a taxi do the same thing, except without 31's and 4.5 lift, he wasn't as lucky as me.

By any chance were you headed Westbound on I-84 just prior to the I-205 split? I was out in my Po-car that night and saw a lifted Cherokee pulled off the right shoulder when I was Eastbound. By the time I floated down to 181st and back, it was gone.

By any chance were you headed Westbound on I-84 just prior to the I-205 split? I was out in my Po-car that night and saw a lifted Cherokee pulled off the right shoulder when I was Eastbound. By the time I floated down to 181st and back, it was gone.

yep, that was me, pulled in behind, what looked like a white 80 something tercel right by the MLK on ramp...... small world.... anyone else get it after i left??? i called it in to 911 to get odot out there, they said someone was already on the way??? was that you???

xjbmprrightsidevw.jpg

slightly bent, not even a dent..... someone's watching out for me.
xjbmprfront.jpg

the hella was already broken...
xjbentbmpr.jpg

from the front can hardly tell
xjbmprunderleft.jpg

driverside mount to the rail, tweaked, but not buckled...
DSC01924.jpg

one buckle before the swaybar, nothing else.....
DSC01926.jpg

only one scratch on the rear,,, i hit so hard, my plastic tote in the rear shattered into multiple spider webs....
DSC01907-1.jpg

driverside angle...

i think that i'm lucky to be alive, although my vehicle doesn't show it.
i didn't get to sleep that night until around 4 am, nothing like being high on adrenalin...

i'll never drive in that lane again when it's raining, never never never.... the amazing part is that no one hit me and i didn't hit anyone else.... 2x into the divider at hwy speeds and that is all that happened. i thought that i had totalled it, it sure felt like it inside, nothing was stationary, like being on a rollercoaster and watching your change floating next to your head..... in slo-mo, that's what it was like......

i went from 50 mph to 10 in what felt like nothing flat... heard the water on the wheels and whipped it into the spin, deeper on the left so thats where i went, which is probably good, because if thats all a concrete wall did to me, i'd hate to hit anyone in freeway traffic, or in this case have them hit me....

btw. rains been minimal for a couple hours now...

IXNAYXJ said:
Paul; you're on your own. Call Josh. :D

-----Matt-----

Thanks buddy! All's good on the homefront. 410 is closed, along with a bunch of others. Other than traffic being a MoFo all's good. Basement is even dry!

Nice sig by the way :D

Back