• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88 for 30/8.25 combo, Where is the best price?

brianglawson

NAXJA Forum User
I know many will say to search, but i am in a massive rush to get to my parents garage to install some Conrol Arm Drop Brackets!!

I suppose a 5month old baby will keep you rushing:D

Where is the best place to get 4.88 ring and pinions for a 30/8.25 combo, including master install kits and all that good stuff?

THe vehicle is a 98, 4.0, automatic, which will be getting 35's soon!!

PM Eric,

He is "National Drivetrain" here on the forums... hes a vendor to and he always has the best deals! He will gladly help you out with everything.

Pretty sure National Drivetrain on here is the only place that has 4.88s for an 8.25. I could be wrong.

be prepared to build the shit out of that d30.

Why?

PS: Pretty sure the lowest gear ratio you can cram in the 8.25 is 4.56.

Pretty sure National Drivetrain on here is the only place that has 4.88s for an 8.25. I could be wrong.

Why?

PS: Pretty sure the lowest gear ratio you can cram in the 8.25 is 4.56.
click here and search for "C8.25-488-NG"

Also, the "prepare to build the crap out of that d30" comment was because 35s on a d30 with 4.88s is going to put a LOT of stress on the axle.

EDIT: See here under "how big a tire can I run on my 30?" for more info http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101124

I'm pretty sure the recommendation of running 4.56s with 35s even though 4.88s are available is because 4.88s are going to result in a really tiny pinion with very few teeth, which will make things MUCH easier to break.

Last edited:
click here and search for "C8.25-488-NG"

Also, the "prepare to build the crap out of that d30" comment was because 35s on a d30 with 4.88s is going to put a LOT of stress on the axle.

EDIT: See here under "how big a tire can I run on my 30?" for more info http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101124

I'm pretty sure the recommendation of running 4.56s with 35s even though 4.88s are available is because 4.88s are going to result in a really tiny pinion with very few teeth, which will make things MUCH easier to break.

Touche on the 4.88s, looks like they dont "bolt in".

I realize why he put that comment, I just like to see peoples reasons for it.

I've personally seen a lot of people run very hard trails with his planned setups, and with 37s and not break a thing. (conversely, I have also seen 297 ujoints break on 33's...)

Not if you're locked and drive on rocks. I grenaded two shafts (297x joints) on my D30 front with a Detroit Locker and 4.88 gears and I'm more of a steady crawler than a romp on it driver. I was going slow and steady when they each broke too. They always break when the wheels are turned and you're on the gas...sometimes that can't be avoided. I never had a problem with the Ring & Pinion strength because of the 4.88s.

some situations require more throttle whether "you know how to drive" or not. carrier in a dana30 with 35s is a bad idea. been there. now im trussed, sleeved, full case locker and alloys.

I recently bought gears and some other stuff from Just Differentials. They gave me great prices, great service, and fast shipping. They are a NAXJA vendor too.

I just got a great price and fast shipping from Eric at National Drivetrain on 4.88s all around.

are 4.88's what you guys would recommend for a 4.0 Automatic on 315/70/16's???

If you're going to run 35's and 4:88's it is highly advisable to run alloy axles. The stress the drivetrain will put on the axles will make short work of them in any serious wheeling. If you want the ultimate in unbreakable axles check out Birfields from RCV performance. Big bucks but virtually unbreakable. Also, you should look at a full case locker because the D30 carrier is fairly weak and will split in two with much force applied to it.

the d30 i plan on leaving open... Eventally i plan on upgrading the front axle to a d44 so i dont want to spend much on the 30...just gears..

as for the back, i feel a chrysler 8.25 is plenty strong enough for 35's!!

im just wondering if 4.88's will be too low and if i should go with 4.56's or if the 4.88's would be fine??

the d30 i plan on leaving open... Eventally i plan on upgrading the front axle to a d44 so i dont want to spend much on the 30...just gears..

as for the back, i feel a chrysler 8.25 is plenty strong enough for 35's!!

im just wondering if 4.88's will be too low and if i should go with 4.56's or if the 4.88's would be fine??

For 35's, 4.88s for sure.

How long until you get the D44? Are you SURE you will be upgrading to a D44? I only ask because if you are going to keep the D30 for at least a couple years, its a good idea to get a full case locker at the same time you get the gears done. If you add a full case locker later, the gears will have to be re-set - which costs a decent amount of money.

If you can afford it, get the locker now while everything is being re-done.

Back