• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running +3 inch shocks on stock height ok?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
Well I can't quite afford new springs right now, but I need shocks bad. If I don't go wheeling it hard would it be ok to run new longer shocks (+3") until I can lift it?
Thanks for any advice...

You'd be very likely to bottom them out and using your shocks to limit compression is bad. Measure your static height and compare that to the compressed height for the shocks.

Buy the 3" longer shocks and leave em in the back of the jeep until you get 3" springs. :) Your stock shock scan tolerate another month or two until you have enough saved for your lift springs.

You'd be very likely to bottom them out and using your shocks to limit compression is bad. Measure your static height and compare that to the compressed height for the shocks.

X2 thats why after wheeling friday i swapped the really long rear shocks that were on my jeep for some for a BB. They were bottoming out completely with an inch left before hitting the bumpstops. Now they don't bottom out but there is still room before the bumpstops because they are rubbing on the fenders! :D

Buy the shocks you want and throw in a couple extra stock coil spring isolators on each side to give you some wiggle room until you can lift it the way you want, then just be careful with it till you know how much it can take.....or grab some super cheap junkyard stockers as replacements and buy your lift stuff all at once later when you're ready.....or leave it alone till you can do it right. They're just shocks.

Trust me, you'll blow them up unless you bumpstop but then your uptravel will be close to zero.

I blew out my rear shocks with my 3" lift and shocks for 2-4" of lift. New bumpstops fixed that problem but it goes to show that it's a really bad idea at stock height.

I think TJ shocks are slightly taller than stock..

I'm running 3" shocks with a 1.5" lift, I couldn't pass up that crazy edelbrock sale. 3 hockey pucks so they don't bottom and at ride height the bumps are 1/2"-3/4" off the pucks, so I only have about 2.5" of uptravel. Actually rides well (daystar jounce bumps + stock), but I will go to 3" after I get a SYE. If I had no lift it'd just be sitting on the bumps.

Back