• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack and Tap or SYE kit

RedJeep2.0

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
What are the up sides to a Sye kit over a hack and tap?
Really!!!
I wanna do a hack and tap for my girls 242 or swap a 231 with a SYE kit?

Is it really worth it? I hear it's stronger but who has broke a hack and tap?

I Found this hack and tap for 38 bucks out of canada

photo-69.jpg

photo-68.jpg

Everything i have read indicates that a H&T will hold up just fine, the advantage to swapping a 231 is the option of a Tera 2low. and upgrading the chain to a bigger Dakota chain (?)

I have done both.

The Hack and Tap kit for the 242 is plenty strong for most XJ's. I don't consider strength the down side. It is a relatively strait forward easy job, but it can be a royal pain in the ass if you don't take your time and make sure you a drilling strait, threading strait. The last thing you want is to deal with a drill or tap in the bottom of your shaft ;)

The shorty SYE for the 231 is a little more time consuming job, not quite as strait forward but I would consider a little more forgiving.

I would pick the kit based on which TC you would prefer, not on the strength of the kits or cases. For a DD that will see snow I think there is a significant advatage in the 242. In a trail rig, the advatages of the 2 low are very significant.

Personally, I wouldn't do another SYE without doing the 2 low and larger chain and 6 planetaries out of another 231. It is a very cheap, easy swap and well worth it in my book.

HTH

Michael

Everything i have read indicates that a H&T will hold up just fine, the advantage to swapping a 231 is the option of a Tera 2low. and upgrading the chain to a bigger Dakota chain (?)

thanks

I have done both.

The Hack and Tap kit for the 242 is plenty strong for most XJ's. I don't consider strength the down side. It is a relatively strait forward easy job, but it can be a royal pain in the ass if you don't take your time and make sure you a drilling strait, threading strait. The last thing you want is to deal with a drill or tap in the bottom of your shaft ;)

The shorty SYE for the 231 is a little more time consuming job, not quite as strait forward but I would consider a little more forgiving.

I would pick the kit based on which TC you would prefer, not on the strength of the kits or cases. For a DD that will see snow I think there is a significant advatage in the 242. In a trail rig, the advatages of the 2 low are very significant.

Personally, I wouldn't do another SYE without doing the 2 low and larger chain and 6 planetaries out of another 231. It is a very cheap, easy swap and well worth it in my book.

HTH

Michael

ok, so trail rig swap for 231. but first do 4 to 1, 2low, and larger chain.

whats a chep way to go about that?

From what I've read on the subject, most people agree that you can buy a used Atlas for the price of the NP231 upgraded shaft/SYE, 4 to 1 kit, and stronger chain. If I were planning on a t-case set-up for a hardcore trail rig, I'd lean towards the Atlas. There is nothing wrong with a 231, but that's a lot of money to dump into one. I've also found that the factory 2.72 to 1 low range is fine for everything but very large rocks. The 4 to 1 is wasted in anything but a rockcrawler IMO.

The cheapest way to go about it would be to find someone who's swapping their 4 to 1 NP231 case for an Atlas or other case and buy their 231. Like I said, dollar for dollar you're spending about the same to polish your 231 as opposed to buying an Atlas.

ok, so trail rig swap for 231. but first do 4 to 1, 2low, and larger chain.

whats a chep way to go about that?

Like Doug said above. I didn't say anything about a 4 to 1.
If you want a 4:1 I also would move to a Atlas or other TC strickly due to cost and the added strength.

If you pick up a chevy 231 at a pick a parts you can take the wide chain, and 6 gear plantetaries out of it for the cost of the TC (I think I paid about $50) They are plentiful and not of significant value at a pick a parts.

The HD SYE you can swap at the same time as the internals from the 231C.
I personally would recommend the 2 low kit at the same time (gives you 2wd low range) if you have or are planning on a front locker that is not selectable. It gives much better steering and takes a bunch of stress off the front axle since you don't need 4x4 most of the time.

I believe with all of this you will probably be at about $500.

Michael

I have done both.

HTH

Michael

Excellent Post, I Have also done both & agree with everything 100%

What are the up sides to a Sye kit over a hack and tap?
Really!!!
I wanna do a hack and tap for my girls 242 or swap a 231 with a SYE kit?

Is it really worth it? I hear it's stronger but who has broke a hack and tap?

I Found this hack and tap for 38 bucks out of canada

photo-69.jpg

photo-68.jpg

I did that to mine seams to be fine. But I've never wheeled it since the time I was at goat with you. I have done some heavy towing 5k + lbs and still holding up fine. The only thing that would be nice would be a longer drive line then just swaping in a front to the rear. I still have a few vibs when I let off the gas around 65 or so. I don't drive mine much anymore unless I'm towing something.

I did that to mine seams to be fine. But I've never wheeled it since the time I was at goat with you.
Ha that was a crazy day, did your woman ever see the little dent?
that tree was close to everyone but you... it got you!

the only guy still making payments, only one to get that tree.

when are we gunna see it on the trail cut fenders and 35s?

If you pick up a chevy 231 at a pick a parts you can take the wide chain, and 6 gear plantetaries out of it for the cost of the TC (I think I paid about $50) They are plentiful and not of significant value at a pick a parts.

The HD SYE you can swap at the same time as the internals from the 231C.
Michael
So out of a chevy 231 get the chain and 6 plantetaries, that's it?

Back