• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the bare minimum to run the RENIX?

grizz78

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a wrecked but running '89 in my yard and an'86 4runner w/ a dying engine. So i'm thinking of pulling the 4.0 and putting it in the 4runner. Since wiring is not my favorite thing in the world does anyone know what's the minimum I need to keep hooked up to the computer for the 4.0 to run?

You would have to get a new transmission also. Frankly, I wouldn't bother.

You need the ignition module and coil. You also need the MAP, along with the IAC, TPS, and ACS. The crankshaft position sensor that is mounted in the bell housing is also needed.

Like the man said, the tranny will be a problem unless you bring the tranny and its computer to the new rig as well. If you bring the tranny, then your problem is hooking up the tcase. Is the front axle a drivers side or passenger side drop?

In short if you jack up the 4runner and put the complete XJ drivetrain under it you will be fine.

In short if you jack up the 4runner and put the complete XJ drivetrain under it you will be fine.
and re-wire the 4-runner so all the switches/gauges do what they're supposed to,..

'Be alot easier to get a junk yard engine and do a quick swap. If you really want to do it, the first thing you should do is garb a tape measure and see if there's even enough space. The 4.0 is not a compact package. It needs a LONG engine bay to sit in. It also weighs something like 550 lb.

It would be easier to do a 4.3 Vortec swap into the Yota than the RENIX 4.0

The adapters/motor mounts are available and so is the wire harness. I helped a friend with his swap and it went smooth, fits great. Twice the power of the wimpy Toyota V-6 that was in there.

A renix 4.0liter in a toyota 4runner..

That should fix the recall issue! the renix wont go! let alone speed off out of control!

A renix 4.0liter in a toyota 4runner..

That should fix the recall issue! the renix wont go! let alone speed off out of control!

Maybe yours, but when I first bought my 88 my idle would shoot up to 3k rpms unexpectedly all the time for no reason. I eventually fixed it with some wiring work and a tps.

Maybe yours, but when I first bought my 88 my idle would shoot up to 3k rpms unexpectedly all the time for no reason. I eventually fixed it with some wiring work and a tps.
mine does the same frikin thing too! 88 renix with the stupid bulk connector-I have a 90 wiring harness that i am going through wire by wire which gets rid of the bulk connector and install that one

mine does the same frikin thing too! 88 renix with the stupid bulk connector-I have a 90 wiring harness that i am going through wire by wire which gets rid of the bulk connector and install that one

Why not just toss the C101 and solder the wires together at the firewall, like everybody else does? :D

actually, your way is better, but slower.

You might be able to use a 4.2 carbed intake and distributor to do away with electronics completely. Never tried or cared to, but they are the same engine family so I would think they might interchange.

Back