• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping parts from a '95 to an '89 (windows, etc.)

1911Shooter

NAXJA Forum User
I came across a non-running two wheel drive 4.0/auto '95 Cherokee with manual doors and seats. I'm thinking of buying it to swap those parts into my '89 with power windows and seats. I might move some other items around as well to fix some small problems.

The seats should be very easy but I'm wondering about the windows. Can I just remove the old door panels and mechanisms and swap in the parts from the '95 or are there different mounting locations that are not duplicated? I suppose I could just swap the whole doors but then I'd have to worry about paint.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yep! I've always hated the power windows (they've gotten slower and less reliable every year) and the power seats just stopped working (they barely worked before). I'm even willing to give up my power mirrors if it makes things easier.

Actually the seats may not be that easy. I believe not only the seats but the mounting points changed. I've not tried it, but I think you may have do some modification. If I were shopping for seats I'd look for the deluxe manual ones through 94, because they would not only fit, but I think they were better than the later ones, and I especially liked the tilting base.

As for the whole doors, I think you'll find also that the hinges and latches have changed. I think you'll still be able to attach the hinges to the door, but I'd look closely at the latches, because I'm not sure the redesigned post allows direct interchange. But I'm pretty sure you should have no problem transplanting the innards. All those bits at least appear to be the same through 96.

I imagine someone else will have a better comment on the seats based on direct experience, but if not you should at least look and measure carefully.

Wait a sec... am I missing something here? The '95 has the same interior and exterior as the '89. The body and interior didn't change until '97.

This '95 looks identical to my '89. Did they really change all those mounting points during the run of the first generation XJ?

Thanks!

The seat mounting changed in 94/95 with a piece of u-channel under the front hardware. If you can drill out the spot welds on the bracket then move it over and you can run all kinds of front seats.

I believe ehall is right, although I thought the seat change was 95/96 with the major body change in 97. Either way, look under the front seat of the 95 to see what is different.

The door stuff should be a relatively easy swap as that didn't change until the 97 model.

So are most under the impression that manual windows/seats are better?

I always liked electric...was thing about swapping if I came across a good donor...

On a modern vehicle electric would be my choice. On an old vehicle (like a '89 XJ) it's not a good thing. Think back to how power seats and windows were on a 2-3 year old car in the 70's and you'll know what I mean.

Manual stuff is less likely to mess up. And nice if your battery dies.. I wouldnt mind PDL's tho.

Swapping in the manual window regulators should be easy, to the best of my knowledge. You can simply disconnect the motor and remove the regulator and leave the wiring hanging (but properly insulated of course) and then swap over the manual door trim with the hole for the crank. The switch panel can stay to make things easier (and because it'll make swapping back easier if you decide to change it again), on a manual there is just a blank plate there. You should not need to kill the power mirrors because they are run off a different set of wires, just don't go nuts cutting wires and you should be fine.

EDIT: a side collision door stiffening support bar was added sometime, I think it was 94 or 95, but I don't think it is used as a mounting point for the regulator.

Back