• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jensen Heavy Duty radios

winkosmosis

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone heard of Jensen's heavy duty head units? They're marketed to truckers so they have features like NOAA weather radio and PA input. The faceplate is water/dust resistant and the electronics are more resistant to humidity etc. ALSO, unlike regular aftermarket head units, they're plain black and look stock, IE unappealing to thieves.

They still have the features you get from bling bling HUs, like iPod input.

I found out about them here http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38684

This site is selling the new JHD3620 which has a USB input. http://www.heavydutyradios.com/jhd_3620.html
I ordered one just to give me peace of mind. The PO put in a Sony Xplode. I'm always thinking "Is someone going to think this crappy bling bling Sony HU is worth stealing??"

img0043.jpg

If this thread belongs in the street forum, please move it... But I don't think those guys would like this kind of head unit. Maybe if it had some chrome and blinky lights :D

Last edited:
96 is the old style- no idea. 97+, it's just got some tabs that snap into metal clips in the dash (6 I think- haven't had mine out in a while). You just pull it straight out- easiest to grab the very bottom, pull it out of the clips, then pull the entire bezel straight out. Radio is held in with 2 bolts and the wiring/antenna connections.

Anyway, that's pretty nifty.

Has anyone heard of Jensen's heavy duty head units? They're marketed to truckers so they have features like NOAA weather radio and PA input. The faceplate is water/dust resistant and the electronics are more resistant to humidity etc. ALSO, unlike regular aftermarket head units, they're plain black and look stock, IE unappealing to thieves.

Jensen has been building marine-rated and HD electronics for years.
Their electronics (TVs, radios, etc.) are made to be moisture and vibration resistant. I have seen Jensen radios used in boats with exposed cockpits.
Their 12-volt TVs have been used in high-end RVs for years.
This radio should be a good choice for your XJ.

My 90 Laredo came with the premium sound and Jenson speakers. The Jenson logo is still on the speaker grills but there are Infinity speakers under there now.

For 97-01 you have to remove the whole bezel, there is no screws to remove. Just pull the shifter knob all the way back away from the console (pull the E brake) Then put a hand on each bottom corner of the bezel and pull up and out.

Thanks, I'm surprised how easy it is to take off the dash panel.

What do people have against Jensen? This seems like high quality stuff. Does anyone else even make consumer level heavy duty radios?

i really like the idea of a marine/hd radio in the jeep. i went thru 4 fairly cheap($150-175) radios in my tj. i would to get one that would last me the life of the rig!

post some install pics when ya get done.

What do people have against Jensen? This seems like high quality stuff. Does anyone else even make consumer level heavy duty radios?
I have had nothing but bad luck with Quality.. the CD players always have issues after a year, and i have had two different Internal amps go bad.

But when they're new, they seem to be decent

96 is the old style- no idea. 97+, it's just got some tabs that snap into metal clips in the dash (6 I think- haven't had mine out in a while). You just pull it straight out- easiest to grab the very bottom, pull it out of the clips, then pull the entire bezel straight out. Radio is held in with 2 bolts and the wiring/antenna connections.

Anyway, that's pretty nifty.
Similar on a 96 down, though you need a long thin torx 20 driver to do it the easy way on 95/96.

Steps for 95/96 only:
Remove the 3 torx screws from the bottom of the steering column cover - one in the center and two at the corners closest to the wheel. Tilt the steering wheel all the way down if you have a tilt wheel, then unscrew the tilt wheel lever. Carefully finagle/unclip the steering column cover halves at the dash side, good luck with this bit, it usually involves a little swearing and sometimes I break a clip. It holds together mostly fine even without the clips but rattles a little if you hit a bump.

Steps for all 96 down:
Remove the four phillips screws holding the bezel in. All are upside down, two are above the instrument cluster and one each above the headlight switch and the cigarette lighter.
Carefully pull the clips out of the dash the same way as on a 97 up, they can be annoying but not too bad.
Remove bezel, unscrew two screws holding radio bracket in, remove. Reinstalling the radio make sure you get the tab on the top of the bracket to seat into the clip inside the dash or the radio will flop around.

Reinstallation is the reverse of removal (except you curse in different places.)

[FONT=&quot]

Part of the problem is that there are three different groups of electronics sold by Jensen.
Few here have experience with the marine or HD product lines, their experience being with the usual 'value oriented' consumer electronics.[/FONT]

no line-level or subwoofer outputs?

Because Jensen's look like crap and have less appeal to people than say a pioneer or Sony with a pretty display. I like my Eclipse HU's!

Eclipse was the CHIT from like 00'-07' and now they are crap IMO..
Clarion, Pioneer, and sony have decent low-budget setups..

Personally, in the last 4 years, Kenwood has been a quality leader.

This is all my opinion, and i am talking about decks, nothing else.. I still hate kenwoods speakers and subwoofers.

Back