• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

still got the shakes???

trouble83

NAXJA Forum User
this has prob been asked a thousand times but i don't have the patients to look back through everything and want to get my xj back to normal

ok 1st off 99 xj sport with re 3.5 full leaf lift added shims to compensate just did t-case drop ytf is it still growling and vibrating???:smsoap:
Too much shim? not enough drop?
help me out here guys paid my dues just to get on here and find some help

btw this site is great and thank god for it so far

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: still got the shakes??? wtf

Every XJ is unique and has it's own set of problems. Some (newer) XJ's can need a SYE with as little as a 2" lift. Hell, my girlfriend's 2000 vibrates with only 2".

I'd check your U-joints etc..

You need a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) and custom driveshaft to match.

The axle will need to be shimmed differently depending on the driveshaft configuration. Stock style, two ujoint driveshaft, the upper and lower ujoints need to run at the same angle. In other words the pinion and crankshaft (hence trans, then tcase) need to be parallel.

Aftermarket, 3 ujoint style driveshaft which is commonly called CV style, the pinion needs to point straight up the driveshaft with very nearly zero operating angle at the rear ujoint. So once the SYE is installed and you have the CV driveshaft the pinion will need to go up a ways.

As for where it needs to go now with the tcase drop to minimize vibes until you get SYE/ CV, get an angle finder, check what you have and adjust accordingly.

I automatically thought to put the shims in and that didn't fix it so I ordered a t-case drop and that didn't fix it either. I guess i'll try removing the shims and see what i get.

The late model XJ's are more prone to this,some had vibes off the showroom floor(Jeep actually issued a TSB for this).

I know that the 00-01 XJs are really sensitive to t/case drops, the use of the LP D30 creates problems with a lift and the t/case drop just aggravates things.

As said, go to Harbor Freight and buy an angle finder and MEASURE.

...no one asked which way he installed the shims....?

...no one asked which way he installed the shims....?

He didnt say what size either,but without real angles numbers............

i put them in the right way...the shims that is
the t case drop did some good the growl is now just a lil groan and the shake/vibration is limmited to 25-30ish mph.
i bought new u-joints for the rear for instal monday
looking into smaller shims..?. if ya'll think it'll make a difference

Why the hell are you asking for answers for if you don't listen to them?

Oh I forgot

i don't have the patients to look back through everything and want to get my xj back to normal

Its like looking under the street light for your keys because the light is better there and its too much hassle to get a flashlight.

Did you measure the angles? If so, what were they.

for one i meant patients to look back through all the threads
two the angles are good
going to focus on the u-joints since i neglected to mention the previous owner had an accident with this jeep an probably neglected to replace things like that

You say the angles are good. What are they? I guess my faith in the fact that you really understand what we are asking is pretty much gone.

Take a digital pix from the side so that the full driveshaft from the tcase to the rear axle is shown. That will give us a much better idea of what you are facing. Many of us have over 10 years experience helping fix lifted XJ's and we pretty much know what we are talking about. There is a reason we ask these questions.

Other than the angles, I say put the rear axle up on jack stands so the tires are not touching and make sure the rig is in 2wd. Start it and place it in drive. Then carefully crawl under and hold a screwdriver or the equivalent up to the drive shaft and make sure it is running straight and not wobbling. My guess is that the driveshaft is either bent or way out of balance.

I think its just a uni-body jeep thats gonna vibrate a little no matter what u do. If you've got the vibes down to a minimum, consider yourself lucky. Jeeps notoriously make strange noises and vibrations so start planning for a SYE if it gets on your nerves.
These things are about as technologically advanced as an old farm tractor, which is why we love them!

for one i meant patients to look back through all the threads
two the angles are good
going to focus on the u-joints since i neglected to mention the previous owner had an accident with this jeep an probably neglected to replace things like that

I was going to post up links to help you, but I too don't have the patients.

BtW, "good" doesn't mean anything. Post up the actuall numbers of the angels. Or you can just keep ignoring everyone's help.

I found the goofiest thing this last couple weeks with my MJ in relation to DW... My truck has just over 270k on the clock...
Had a worn out passenger side tie-rod end, wasted passenger U-joint, had a good factory style steering damper, and zero DW...
Changed out the tie-rod assembly with a V8 ZJ setup that happened to have a bad damper... It developed a pretty bad case of freeway DW...
Took it to get the U-joint replaced, damper changed out, ended up getting a new wheel bearing that side, and an alignment... DW disappeared...
Experience tells me the combination of no damper and the bad knuckle U-joint are primary culprits in this viscious cycle...
Next time you are under the front of your truck chasing the evil DW Gremlin, try looking at your knuckle U-joints during your shake-down... Never know what you might find...

I think its just a uni-body jeep thats gonna vibrate a little no matter what u do. If you've got the vibes down to a minimum, consider yourself lucky. Jeeps notoriously make strange noises and vibrations so start planning for a SYE if it gets on your nerves.
These things are about as technologically advanced as an old farm tractor, which is why we love them!
... wrong. Strange noises can usually be tracked down if you aren't lazy. Vibrations can also be tracked down.
Right on the farm tractor bit though, gotta love a straight 6 pushrod engine :yelclap: will run forever if you treat it nicely.

also, this thread amazes and depresses me. Would you build a house without measuring anything and just throw bits together till it held up?

actually on second thought don't answer that! I've seen it done, with exactly the results I would expect.

some people...

Ok thanks for the advice. I rechecked the angles, they were off a friend checked them the first time but just eye-balled. I took a couple days off to regain my whits and checked with the angle finder that was buried on the bench.
Needless to say the angle was not correct so I removed the shims which I found to be about 6 deg which is way too much by what you all had to say.
Bolted it back up to spec and holy crap it rolls as smooth as b4 the lift.
So in short t-case drop was all that it needed and I'll be checking my own work from here out.

Back