• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement intake manifold bolts - source?

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know a good source for an intake manifold bolt kit? (97 XJ 4.0L) I've seen Mopar part P4529680 online, "Intake Manifold Attaching Package", but it's advertised as fitting up to 1989. (?)

I'll be doing a header install and want to replace all intake/exhaust bolts. I already found an OE exhaust bolt set; still searching for the intake bolts (and spacers/washers).

5-90 has posted the sizes/threads/preferred materials around here somewhere, if you've got a good hardware store nearby.

I found a Dorman/Motormite/Help kit at Advance Auto- I bought two, as it didn't have quite enough hardware (must be for a 4cyl or something), but it has the proper bolts, nuts, studs, and spring washers. Don't have the package, but I'll see if I can find the part number.

edit- Dorman 03408

Last edited:
Dorman 03408 looks like an exhaust-only hardware kit. I don't see those large washer/spacers. Am I missing something? Is an intake hardware kit the same as an exhaust hardware kit, seeing as how it's one shared gasket? And what of that Mopar P4529680 Intake Manifold Attaching Package -- can anyone explain that?

I am also looking for the large washers for the manifold bolts. The dealer part number is 33004255, and they want $3.50 each. Theres 11 washers total, and I was hoping to get somehting a little cheaper. I installed a Banks header and lost the washers, so I had to use some thick grade 8 flat washers from the hardware store. They look like they are starting to bend a little, so I want to replace them.
I called a few junk yards, but they are less than helpful on small things like that.
Any help?

Google "Belleville washers" or "Belleville springs".

There are no sources for Belleville washers around where I live, but I found several sources on-line. Does anyone know the ourside diameter of those washers?

The washers I had to get through jeep, as for the studs/bolts , I made from "all-thread" or "ready-rod". The metal is grade 8 and slightly softer, it will not turn brittle and sheer like the stock hardware, just double check torque a few times after install. If I remember it was 5-90 that recommended this

The washers I had to get through jeep, as for the studs/bolts , I made from "all-thread" or "ready-rod". The metal is grade 8 and slightly softer, it will not turn brittle and sheer like the stock hardware, just double check torque a few times after install. If I remember it was 5-90 that recommended this

SAE5, not SAE8. SAE5 isn't as sensitive to heat-cycling.

Cuprous alloys are better - I used brass threaded rod to make th studs, and I'll use bronze screws next time I do the job.

Belleville washers are available from Fastenal. The ones from McMaster are probably all too "hard" - it's the spring temper that you want, and it needs to be able to deflect with small loads. You can use a flat washer between the Belleville and the manifold flanges if you want to increase the bearing area, and you put the Belleville in with the "open side" facing the manifolds.

If you've got to go mail-order, you can do so through Fastenal or MSC Direct.

Check torque annually, whatever screws/washers you use.

I am not sure as sometimes Dorman stuff is pure junk, like Grade 10.9 suspension bolts that feel like aluminum yet a magnet sticks to them. I would just buy at the dealer, maybe more up front, but then you know you are getting the right thing, no questions about it, no need for return, or questioning what you get from Dorman.

Thanks man. I ended reusing the original bolts. They all were fine. I was worried that they were gonna be rotted or snap but they were totally good.

Back