• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 not shifting into 1st going down hill.

rcliftedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, i have an aw4 with the 2-1 position in my 97 country. when im going down hills and put it into the 2-1 postion, it will shift into second and then when i get down around 25 miles an hour it will shift into first and then shift right back up into second. it does't stay in first. if i use the brake and slow down to about 20 mph and shit into the 2-1 postion it just stays in second. never shifts into first. what do you all think. oh, just to give you an idea of my set up, im running hp30 and d44 w/4.56 gears, 35" km2's, 6.5" bds mutt lift, and np231 t-case w/sye
thanks ahead of time for any info!

trevor~

Check TPS, if it is bad.. replace it. Also, try adjusting your TV cable. Does sound like possibly a solenoid issue tho. Maybe use a scanner and check codes.
You have the opposite problem of most.. a lot of guys want 2nd gear when going down hills. lol.

welli would like it to run in second without it kicking down into first and then kicking right back into second. and then it would be nice if it would drop into first and stay in first haha

That's the normal behavior for the AW-4. That's why people do the manual AW-4 controller modifications so they can select and hold 1st gear.

That's the normal behavior for the AW-4. That's why people do the manual AW-4 controller modifications so they can select and hold 1st gear.

yah thats what i was thinking about doing. i just wanted to make sure that there wasnt anything else wrong with the tranny before i spent the 150 bucks only to find out that there is actually a problem with the tranny.

Back