• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

18 inch charger wheels

natixj

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to the site, kinda been looking around before I joined. I am putting a 3'' lift on my 98 xj, and was going to use some charger wheels I have and was wondering what size tires I could use. I tried to look at other threads to see if anybody else has posted the info, but came up with 32'' but that was it. There was a pic of a jeep from another web site but thats all the info that was posted. If anybody could help I would greatly appreciate it. I also seen some rubicon wheels on a lot of xj but the bolt pattern is different and dont know if im just looking for the wrong year rubicon wheels. I have been seeing some 08 rubicons for sale around here but dont know what to do. I am used to working on street cars, building some sick 2010 ss camaros now. Any way if you guys could help me on both wheels thanks, and im glad I found this site great informaiton..

Thanks for the help...:flame: been burning up the pavement now going off road..

Last edited by a moderator:
275/65/18 is about 32". But, the stock 18" alloys are only 7.5" wide- not sure if you can (or should) run an 11" wide tire with a lower aspect on them.

The Wrangler rims you would want are from the 06 and older TJ/YJs. The 07 and up have a different bolt pattern than the Cherokees (5x5, I think- same as the newer Grands?). The newer wheels are all over the place around here, but it's hard to find decent (especially plus sized) alloys off a TJ. You could run some newer wheels with adapters, but that gets mixed reviews. A few folks on here are doing that, so maybe they'll chime in.

edit- check Summit Racing- they have a decent selection of 18"s, and list min/max wheel widths, overall diameters, etc. ie

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...um-Recommended-Rim-Width/7-50-in/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Last edited:
275/65/18 is about 32". But, the stock 18" alloys are only 7.5" wide- not sure if you can (or should) run an 11" wide tire with a lower aspect on them.

IIRC, that 7.5" width is close to what a stock 15" XJ rim uses. I don't know about the backspacing on the Charger rims, but even if the bolt pattern matches up I'd almost expect backspacing to be an issue given the difference in intended applications between the two.

The Wrangler rims you would want are from the 06 and older TJ/YJs.

Related to this: I'm running TJ Moab rims on my 2000. They work fine in terms of backspacing and width, but one thing I'll mention is that they're a 16" rim. This is fine in and of itself, but most manufacturers design and build their tyres for 14" and 15" rims with 15" being the sweet spot for both pricing and availability. On the one hand it may just mean running a metric size instead of a standard size (say, 255/75R16 vs. 31"x10.50") which isn't a big deal, but on the other hand you may find that you just can't get what you want in a size suitable for an 18" rim.

16" tyre sizes are starting to become more commonly-available, but they're still not on a par with what's out there for 15" rims. I know you're looking at running what you've got available, but you may want to consider reselling those rims and picking up a set of TJ rims even if the bolt patterns match, because there's a strong chance that you'll be seriously limiting (while increasing the cost of) the tyre options they'd leave open to you.

In smaller size 18", Pirelli is probably your best choice for tires. Range Rovers come with 18's and a light duty AT stock (when you buy the 4.6 liter).

I'll warn you, they go flat easy. Best to stick to a 15-17" tire for better options.

IIRC, that 7.5" width is close to what a stock 15" XJ rim uses. I don't know about the backspacing on the Charger rims, but even if the bolt pattern matches up I'd almost expect backspacing to be an issue given the difference in intended applications between the two.

Good point- I wasn't even thinking about the added width of the tire- with the stock 225/60s, they are virtually the same size as a 235/75/15 on a 7" rim, with about the same stance. IIRC backspacing is around 4.75" or thereabouts. I would think rubbing would be a problem.

I suppose it depends on the area, but you just about can't find/buy TJ Moabs around here- the only set I've seen for sale in the area recently were $600 without tires. Aftermarket or larger OE takeoffs from other vehicles are basically the only option if you don't want to run Soft 8s/D windows.

Largest I would go, and only if I was running decently LARGE tires would be the 17" Rubicon wheels. But, best bet to stick with 15's or 16's I suppose.

dont even bother using those wheels, the bolt patterns arent the same. go find yourself a nice set of liberty or nitro wheels if you want the new look and bigger rim size.....

they are close but not the same, likewise, you cant bolt on a set of jeep/mustang wheels to a charger, there's nothing to center off of. look on mopar action or mopar muscle mag's websites, there was a writeup on a dodge magnum on one of those sites abd they stated that exact thing i posted before.

geez,just said they weren't the correct bolt pattern, and everyone is biting my head off. well, i guess i won't say anything about you guys and your useless need for 18" wheels, seems like a waste of time to me......but what do i know......just repeating what i read from facts.....

The LX and XJ platforms have the same pattern. 4.5" = 114.3mm. LX wheels bolt directly onto an XJ. The LX cars use a 14mm stud, while the XJs use 1/2-20 studs. I read that XJ are hubcentric and LX are lug centric, but but they have the same bore for the hub. I read threads where people insisted they wouldn't fit, would fly off, wouldn't center, etc- and I honestly think those guys were just talking nonsense.

The lug spacing is the same, and the wheels bolt right up.

01XJ_July082.jpg

Bling003.jpg

BrettsZJ001.jpg

RT-shrubs2.jpg

P9030132.jpg

RT18004.jpg

Jeep001.jpg

they are close but not the same, likewise, you cant bolt on a set of jeep/mustang wheels to a charger, there's nothing to center off of. look on mopar action or mopar muscle mag's websites, there was a writeup on a dodge magnum on one of those sites abd they stated that exact thing i posted before.

cobras1.jpg

:rolleyes:

edit- I found another thread on here where someone said Mopar Action said you couldn't put Mustang wheels on an LX, and that the wheels would fly off- the Fords have a different bore than the XJ/LX, so maybe that's a factor on a built track car, but I don't think they ever tried it on a Jeep. I don't know if a 15" wheel would even clear the LX brakes.

Last edited:
sorry for the outburst earlier, just thought that if they didnt work on an lx, then they wouldnt work the opposite on an xj. glad someone found the article i was talking about, now that it has been settled, a set of srt 20's on a stroked up street xj would be the shit!!!!:cheers:

Thanks guys the red xj a couple replys earlier is what im trying to go for. I like the larger wheels but I also like to mix the two together with the off road tires. I have had a few people ask why that big but its all on personal preference and thats what I like plus I already have them recieved them for free so its a hell of a deal. Hard to beat free, but thanks to everyone for the fast responses and again your all great help.:D

The LX and XJ platforms have the same pattern. 4.5" = 114.3mm. LX wheels bolt directly onto an XJ. The LX cars use a 14mm stud, while the XJs use 1/2-20 studs. I read that XJ are hubcentric and LX are lug centric, but they have the same bore for the hub. I read threads where people insisted they wouldn't fit, would fly off, wouldn't center, etc- and I honestly think those guys were just talking nonsense.

The lug spacing is the same, and the wheels bolt right up.

You'll only run into trouble if you powdercoat your wheels. My powdercoater was generous with the material; we had to do a little grinding before the rims could clear the hub (but it wasn't a big deal).

well, i guess i won't say anything about you guys and your useless need for 18" wheels, seems like a waste of time to me......but what do i know......just repeating what i read from facts.....
I'm very satisfied with my charger rims. My Jeep retained its OEM feel, I got the wheels for a great price, and my Jeep drives stock ...which is something I couldn't say about my cobra 18s (stupid pirelli tires)

Back