• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going full width, need some build up advice

TheSandman

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up a 9"/HP44 combo, am planning on running my 35's for right now, will move to 36's when they wear out, MAYBE 37's, but I not sure.

Anywho, I'm looking to build up the axles on somewhat a budget, I need some advice on what should I start out with.

REAR
I would like to go with 35 spline for added insurance and would like a rear locker, maybe detroit? I was looking into those yukon grizzly lockers and save a little cash, any experince with those?

OR I could keep the 31 spline and run a aussie in the rear?

FRONT
Would like chromo shafts (think I have a line on some used one's), but was thinking of keeping the stock shafts and running longfield's or some other stronger joint? Was also thinking of running a detroit truetrac? Or should I leave it open? I want something in there, I figured a truetrac would be a little easier on it then a locker. My front D30 is open now and not crazy about it, I would love an OX, but I just don't think I can squeeze that in my budget.

AND I still have to get the brackets for the front, man this stuff adds up fast

Any advice?

Don't bother putting in a front D44 if you use the stock shafts. A snap ringed Spicer 760x axle joint is stronger than the yokes on the stock axle shafts, so really no point to getting chromo joints and not getting chromo shafts. I'd rather have a D30 with chromo shafts than a D44 with stock shafts.

Also no point in a Truetrac, a waste of money for what they cost. Buy a lunchbox locker and get chromo shafts. You need a locker in the front more than you need a locker in the back, so no sense compromising on an expensive limited slip in the front.

The back is up to you, but I'd think it would be hard to justify spending money on a 31 spline locker when you can get 35 spline for the same price. New alloy 35 spline axles are not very expensive, relatively, and you'd never break them. The cost of 35 spline stuff for the rear 9" would probably be the most bang for the buck money you'll spend on the build.

Don't bother putting in a front D44 if you use the stock shafts. A snap ringed Spicer 760x axle joint is stronger than the yokes on the stock axle shafts, so really no point to getting chromo joints and not getting chromo shafts. I'd rather have a D30 with chromo shafts than a D44 with stock shafts.

Also no point in a Truetrac, a waste of money for what they cost. Buy a lunchbox locker and get chromo shafts. You need a locker in the front more than you need a locker in the back, so no sense compromising on an expensive limited slip in the front.

The back is up to you, but I'd think it would be hard to justify spending money on a 31 spline locker when you can get 35 spline for the same price. New alloy 35 spline axles are not very expensive, relatively, and you'd never break them. The cost of 35 spline stuff for the rear 9" would probably be the most bang for the buck money you'll spend on the build.

I thought a locker put more stress on the axles, u joints, and hubs? That's why I was thinking a truetrac instead of a limited slip. As far as the back goes, I have a guy selling a 31 spline detroit locker that I was trying to get. If I'm gonna use 31 spline axles, I'll just stick with my stock one's for now, eventually changing to 31 spline alloy's.

I want to balance out the build, putting things where they need to be and waiting on stuff that isn't necessary.

Also, I thought an auto locker up front sucks because it's locks under power, so when your turning on tight trails, it's gonna want to lock up and push the front end (not letting you turn)

I have a Truetrac in my front D30 and love it. BUT 90% of my driving is on the street and we have snow for 5 months out of the year. So in the winter I can use 4wd and maintain cornering ability which the wife really likes. She hates the YJ in the winter cause of the locker in the front she won't drive it when it snows. When it is offroad it's moderate trails with not alot of rocks, so I don't usually have a wheel in the air. If a fairly capable dd is what your after I think a truetrac would be fine.

So I picked up a 9"/HP44 combo, am planning on running my 35's for right now, will move to 36's when they wear out, MAYBE 37's, but I not sure.

Anywho, I'm looking to build up the axles on somewhat a budget, I need some advice on what should I start out with.

REAR
I would like to go with 35 spline for added insurance and would like a rear locker, maybe detroit? I was looking into those yukon grizzly lockers and save a little cash, any experince with those?

OR I could keep the 31 spline and run a aussie in the rear?

FRONT
Would like chromo shafts (think I have a line on some used one's), but was thinking of keeping the stock shafts and running longfield's or some other stronger joint? Was also thinking of running a detroit truetrac? Or should I leave it open? I want something in there, I figured a truetrac would be a little easier on it then a locker. My front D30 is open now and not crazy about it, I would love an OX, but I just don't think I can squeeze that in my budget.

AND I still have to get the brackets for the front, man this stuff adds up fast

Any advice?

Stick with the 31 spline shafts at first. I am still running them with no issues. I picked up a used detroit for the rear which saved a bit of $. You might as well plan for hydro assist with that set up. I could barley turn my tires when aired down in the rocks (lunchbox up front). You are right it will add up fast!! HTH blaise

Stick with the 31 spline shafts at first. I am still running them with no issues. I picked up a used detroit for the rear which saved a bit of $. You might as well plan for hydro assist with that set up. I could barley turn my tires when aired down in the rocks (lunchbox up front). You are right it will add up fast!! HTH blaise

Are you running 35's? I ran mine down to 20 psi and I could turn fine. I guess your talking with the lunchbox up front?

I was thinking aussie's front and rear to save a little more cash? Then later on down the road, I can switch to 35 spline and full carrier setup.

Think the aussie's will hold? I have a lockright in my XJ D44 and it was ok, the guy that always does my gear setup's told me that they are junk and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, and they usually pop. That's why I have a truetrac in the back now, he scared me, lol.

Are you running 35's? I ran mine down to 20 psi and I could turn fine. I guess your talking with the lunchbox up front?

I was thinking aussie's front and rear to save a little more cash? Then later on down the road, I can switch to 35 spline and full carrier setup.

Think the aussie's will hold? I have a lockright in my XJ D44 and it was ok, the guy that always does my gear setup's told me that they are junk and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, and they usually pop. That's why I have a truetrac in the back now, he scared me, lol.

I was running 35's at the time them went 38's. Aired down i had to strong arm the wheel and rev the engine to turn in alot spots. My pump may have been a little worn. After one trip i did a DIY hydro assist as well as refreshed the pump. I have a lock rite up front and i have no complaints excepts some broken pins once, but i was doing something stupid. blaise

Back