• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 XJ no start

littledeviltj

NAXJA Forum User
i found a guy wanting to sell a 91 4 door cherokee, 4.0L, 30/35, that wont start up. he says it will turn over but no fire. he wants under $500. should i buy this or no? im worried im oging to get this home and it be a nightmare and just wasted $500. let me know what you think.

Last edited:
You could probably part it out for twice that amount, depending on what it has.

How are your skills? If you have to pay someone, it might go really bad.

Of course, March being NAXJA membership month, if you become "Red" I would try and help you figure things out. :D

I agree with Joe......depends on your mechanical ability. Are you a turn-key guy or do you like to wrench?

You might be pleasantly surprised and find that the no-start is something simple like a crank sensor, etc and that it drives fine once you get it running.

Or it might have multiple major problems and be a "money pit", in which case it would probably be best to part it out.

Buyer beware.

The big problem is that a "no start" is also a "no drive". How do you even know that the tranny, brakes, charging system works. Assume the worst, because it may be even worse than that. If the body looks great and you can do your own work, it may be worth considering.

Back